New build - 7SAUM

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by West Bay Wader, Apr 22, 2014.

1. West Bay Wader

West Bay Wader Member

The specs.

Benchmark 30" 5r 8 twist 7mm tube light varmint. Chambered in 7 SAUM. (From the benchmark group buy - I can't wait to shoot this beauty)
    Stiller Predator s/a
    Stiller DBM
    Alpha Mags
    Jewell trigger
    McMillan A-3/5 , 2 flush cups
    Kahle 6x24 56 MSR
    Nightforce 6screw rings

Built by Omar Alonzo in the Houston area - builds a lot of 6.5 SAUM hammers.

I cannot wait to get some time to shoot it. I will break it in with 180 VLDs over a healthy dose of Retumbo and if I can ever find some H1000 will compare that to the Retumbo. Yes that is an 8 twist cited above as I have heard about some 195 VLDs in the future and I would rather have a little more than not enough.

This whole project started from me thinking about rebarreling a Rem 7-08 sporter that needs a need tube to be fun. But one thing leads to another and you need a new stock, why bother truing an action, that trigger needs work, etc.............

Attached Files:

2. cohunter14

cohunter14 Well-Known Member

Great looking rifle!

3. BlackGSD

BlackGSD Member

Great looking rifle. How did you get the magazines set up to feed the SAUM? I have a 7WSM also on a Stiller Predator. I am using Wyatt's DBM with 308 magazines with the lips bent out. I have it feeding pretty reliably but I get the occasional failure to feed. Any advice you can give me?

4. West Bay Wader

West Bay Wader Member

I am using 300 WSM mags from alpha industries. I have the 10 round version. In testing with the dummy rounds they have fed fine. I will know more when I get out to the range.

.300WSM Magazines

5. trucraft

trucraft Well-Known Member

Very nice rig.
    I have a very similar saum on a Borden action but same scope and stock.
    Keep posting your load test results, I'm interested to hear how you do.
    I use H1000 but struggle to keep consistent coal over 65gr with bergers even at 2.970
    So guess that you will single feed the 195grn's

6. Truc

Truc Well-Known Member

Gotta love the 7 SAUM, I have one very similar, Stiller action, Rem Varmint contour 25" Rock Creek w/ brake, in a A3 Edge Sporter McMillan, has a 4.5x14x50 Mark 4 on it. I load at 2.9" OAL from a BDL Mag with 58 grains H4831 under the 180 Bergers. I do have some 190 Matrix but saving them for a larger cartridge.

7. skyfish25

skyfish25 Well-Known Member

Sweet rifle, I have a 7mm SAUM being built as well, #5 brux fluted. Will be my primary hunting rifle. Snowy Mountain rifle.