New build - .300 Rum

30 Hammer

After speaking to every Long Range builder at the Western Hunt Expo this weekend I have decided to take my new rifle project on and do it (some of it) myself. I have a local smith that is willing to mentor me in the actual labor part of the build and I really have the desire to do as much of this myself as possible. Hopefully I don't ruin anything along the way!

I'd love to hear feedback:

Goal: Mule Deer / Elk rig , mid weight , must be able to get in and out of a horse scabbard.

I have decided on .300 RUM was on the fence between this and a .30 Nosler. Thinking the increased case capacity of the .300 RUM will help should the new Berger 245 come into play.

My bullet preferences are Nosler Accubond or more likely 215 Berger and quite possibly the new 245 Berger, as well as Barnes LRX in case Dad draws a California Tule tag.

Components:

Brake - Elite Rifle Works

Barrel - Obermeyer 26" # 4 contour sporter / stainless 1-9" twist fluted.

Action / Recoil lug - Stiller

Stock - McMillan Game Warden

Bottom Metal - ?? Needs to be long.

Trigger - TriggerTech or Calvin Elite (I have several Timneys and love them, the company has great service and I like the little paper they include in their triggers.)

Talley Rings

Nightforce NXS Scope

Metal Finish - Cerakote

The NXS is a big scope going in and out of a scabbard. For bottom metal I'd stick with standard BDL bottom metal rather than a DBM that can hangup or get released accidentally.

If you're really thinking about going up to bullets heavier than the 220's you probably want to go with a 1:9" twist vs the standard 1:10".

Wild Rose - thanks for the info - yes on the 1-9" it's in my post, thank you for verifying this.

I will probably use a G7 version so it has the capped windage. I have an SHV on a gun and I really like it - might end up using another one on this build. It's pretty basic but it tracks perfectly and holds zero typical of a Nightforce.

Yep, the Nightforce NSX is a l o n g scope. By making it long they use fewer lenses to get the proper focal length.

Look at the new, all made in USA Vortex Viper AMG. Be sure it's the AMG, not the standard Viper. It's notably shorter than the AMG but lighter and, IMO, better quality.

Eric B.

Are you comparing a Nightforce to a Vortex Viper?? Viper does not come in an AMG. Vortex makes a Razor that comes in AMG and I'm assuming that's what you mean? I've owned both, sold my vortex for nightforce and will never go back. The vortex is 15.2 inches and so is the Nightforce NXS. The Vortex is 28.8 ounces and the Nightforce NXS is 32 (3 ounce diff). The vortex is a 50mm objective and the Nightforce is a 56 (allows way more light) Not sure what's being compared here. If I was you, I'd go with the new Nightforce ATACR 7x35x56 MOAR, if you are worried about the extra pound in the ATACR, add an extra pound to your training... :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.