new brunswick& canada moose

Dskiper

lightbulbIv'e been inquiring about inquiring about moose hunting in eastern Canada.just received email from large black bear outfitter who has 2 leftover permits from his guides.2016 has been said to have reduced season of 3days only!what about weather? that's ok for residents(not really) but that forces u to take any animal vs lookin for abig one!prjce is same w/bear possible but seems government is looking for money w/ nothing in return! govt, website says moose are increasing.Quebec says 1 moose/2 hunters!My being retired,funds are not to be wasted on a walk in the forest! guess I have to win lootery in Me.,Vt.,NH.

hello,yes I would love to do AK.,Yukon,BC,etc.but prices are beyond my means.more important I want all the meat so I must drive to huntarea.I went to Alberta 6yrs.ago.only saw 1 moose in the woods(cow)and very little sign.bad winters said outfitter 60% of them perished then!guessI will switch to elk-deer out west.never got a bull so these are on my bucklightbulblightbulbet list.seen many moose over my 45+seasons in Maine doin deer!

First thing you'll need to do is draw a tag.NB doesn't have outfitter allocations for moose,non res hunters must compete in the lottery,then choose an outfitter if successful in the draw.......which raises question about this alleged outfitter that you spoke with claiming his guides have 2 tags??? ***?Maybe I read it wrong,and you were referring to bear tags,for which NB Outfitters do have allocations.
Again,the toughest part of moose hunting in NB is drawing the tag,with approximately 20:1 odds for non-res.
The season was only 3 days forever,since 1960s(?) at least,and was increased to 5 days in 2015.AFAIK,there is no plan to reduce the season back to 3 days for the foreseeable future.
NB has a healthy moose population and boasts an excellent success rate despite the extremely short season.Even at 3 days,resident success with 2 hunters
per tag ran around 70%+ most years.Non res hunters with mandatory guide requirement enjoy a slightly higher success rate of 80%+......both success rates have increased somewhat since extending the season,but surprisingly not a whole lot higher.
I spent most of my life in NB(in AB last 6 years now)and have been fortunate to participated in close to 20(?) moose hunts,either as the primary tag holder,designate hunter(2nd gun ),guide,or just along for support/help.Weve generally done a bit better then provincial average success(85-90%?) but have had a cpl skunk years as well....3 days is a very short time and if you are choosy and hold out for a trophy bull you certainly risk eating tag soup,some years any legal moose on final evening is as welcome sight!
Draw your tag,and any reputable NB Outfitter or Guide should be able to put you into moose.

You probably didn't notice but the post/inquiry was made a year ago. (2015)

First thing you'll need to do is draw a tag.NB doesn't have outfitter allocations for moose,non res hunters must compete in the lottery,then choose an outfitter if successful in the draw.......which raises question about this alleged outfitter that you spoke with claiming his guides have 2 tags??? ***?Maybe I read it wrong,and you were referring to bear tags,for which NB Outfitters do have allocations.
Again,the toughest part of moose hunting in NB is drawing the tag,with approximately 20:1 odds for non-res.
The season was only 3 days forever,since 1960s(?) at least,and was increased to 5 days in 2015.AFAIK,there is no plan to reduce the season back to 3 days for the foreseeable future.
NB has a healthy moose population and boasts an excellent success rate despite the extremely short season.Even at 3 days,resident success with 2 hunters
per tag ran around 70%+ most years.Non res hunters with mandatory guide requirement enjoy a slightly higher success rate of 80%+......both success rates have increased somewhat since extending the season,but surprisingly not a whole lot higher.
I spent most of my life in NB(in AB last 6 years now)and have been fortunate to participated in close to 20(?) moose hunts,either as the primary tag holder,designate hunter(2nd gun ),guide,or just along for support/help.Weve generally done a bit better then provincial average success(85-90%?) but have had a cpl skunk years as well....3 days is a very short time and if you are choosy and hold out for a trophy bull you certainly risk eating tag soup,some years any legal moose on final evening is as welcome sight!
Draw your tag,and any reputable NB Outfitter or Guide should be able to put you into moose.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.