New brass

Personally I always resize just to be sure, plus alot of times the case mouths are not uniform from packing, shipping,etc.......

It is definately not a bad habit to get into for previous mentioned reasons, at the least your trueing up the mouths and necks.

For me it really depends on the rifle and the intended purpose of the load. I have mostly all stock factory rifles, however most of them deliver exceptional accuracy through the load work I have done with them.

A couple of them, however are mostly exclusively shot at under 100yds. The loads I shoot in them will group plenty good at these ranges, and unless there is a very noticable defect in the mouth or neck, I sometimes just grab up a handful and load away.

That said, for the rest, I pretty much full lenght size, trim lenghts, standardize the primer pockets, clean flash holes, debur, and then load.

My last batch of new Win. bulk 30-06 brass came in with the necks in terrible shape, they were very beat up for whatever reason. You might have been able to jam a real long boattail into it and just straighten it out with the seating, but it couldn't have helped but destroy consistancy. It gave me very little trust for new brass neck dimensions, which control neck tension.

The Lapua I got at the same time looked like it could have been used as packaged, but I sized it anyway, to know it was all the same.

So I'd recommend sizing, for consistancy, although I do sometimes only neck size, depending on fit.

With good brass such as Lapua you would probably be fine to load and go. My new Remington Ultra Mag brass is so poor It needs a full inspection, and preparation prior to loading. Out of 100 brass their were 3 split necks, and lots of dents, not to mention the extreme weight spread.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.