New big boomer :)

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by midwesthunter, Jun 2, 2009.

1. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

Well I was looking to get started on a semi custom 300 RUM build. I went to the local gun shop to order my action when an old timer over heard me and said he had something better. He only lived a couple blocks away so I followed him to his house cause he wouldn't tell me. Long story short I got 2 Rem 8mm Mag's for $200 bucks. Yes I said 2 and one was brand new still in the box. The other needs rebarreled bore is pitted. Even gave original wood stock that came with the one. So now I have another great action for another build. Can anyone give me some ballistics for some handloads, I see what factory ammo can do but hear way better from what I found on the web.

2. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

Hurry, run down to the store and buy me a lotto ticket!

Great find.

AJ

3. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Wow, that guy must be figuring in about circa 1950 dollars.
    Depending on barrel length, you can run the 220 gr Sierra SBT at 2900-3000 fps and you should get a solid 3000 fps with the 200 gr Nosler Partition. The partition is the tougher bullet but the 220 Sierra has the best BC of any 8mm mass produced bullet. When I finally get some time I'm going to load up some 220's and some IMR 7828. Good luck with yours and great buy!

4. bellboy

bellboy Well-Known Member

would you be willing to sell one of them?

5. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

No sorry keeping them both. Turning the one into a 7mm STW

6. bellboy

bellboy Well-Known Member

ok ya thought i'd ask. Thats what i'm trying to do too, find an inexpensive way to get me a 7 STW. thank