New benches for my new reloading room

McKinneyMike

Here are some photos of my new reloading room and the new benches that I built over the holidays. The first photo is of the longer bench. I still need to add the hardwood edge to the top and apply a new laminate. I installed a spline around the edge of the top to secure the hardwood edge that I am making from curly Maple.

I had some redwood beams that I had no other use for so I decided to saw them up to make the legs of the two benches. The aprons and stretchers are made from 1 1/4" Ash with all joints using mortise and tenons. I then pegged the joints with Maple dowels. The Ash had a lot of darkwood in the lumber, so I was not going to use it for furniture.

Finish was a coat of Watco Teak Oil and once that cured I applied a few coats of satin polyurethane on both benches. I had two weeks off over the holidays and wanted to build something so I did! The room still needs to have the baseboards and door trim added. I haven't decided what wood I want to use just yet for that. The long bench is 96" long and 24" deep.

bench5.jpg

The following photos are of the reloading press bench. It is shallower and shorter than the long bench at 16" deep and 48" long. Both benches are 29" tall, as I no longer like to stand and load. The height is comfortable for me to clean my rifles while standing.

bench7.jpg

bench8.jpg

bench9.jpg

bench10.jpg

bench11.jpg

bench12.jpg

Very Nice Jointery!!!

They certainly look like they will be very sturdy and heirloom quality thus far.

Very nice indeed.

Mike~

Your master craftsmanship in wood shows through even in the reloading benches you made. I envy your talent. I'd like to see some of the furniture you've made over the years..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.