New benches for my new reloading room

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by McKinneyMike, Jan 9, 2011.

1. McKinneyMike

McKinneyMike Well-Known Member

Here are some photos of my new reloading room and the new benches that I built over the holidays. The first photo is of the longer bench. I still need to add the hardwood edge to the top and apply a new laminate. I installed a spline around the edge of the top to secure the hardwood edge that I am making from curly Maple.

I had some redwood beams that I had no other use for so I decided to saw them up to make the legs of the two benches. The aprons and stretchers are made from 1 1/4" Ash with all joints using mortise and tenons. I then pegged the joints with Maple dowels. The Ash had a lot of darkwood in the lumber, so I was not going to use it for furniture.

Finish was a coat of Watco Teak Oil and once that cured I applied a few coats of satin polyurethane on both benches. I had two weeks off over the holidays and wanted to build something so I did! The room still needs to have the baseboards and door trim added. I haven't decided what wood I want to use just yet for that. The long bench is 96" long and 24" deep.

[​IMG]

The following photos are of the reloading press bench. It is shallower and shorter than the long bench at 16" deep and 48" long. Both benches are 29" tall, as I no longer like to stand and load. The height is comfortable for me to clean my rifles while standing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aldon

Aldon Well-Known Member

Very Nice Jointery!!!

They certainly look like they will be very sturdy and heirloom quality thus far.

Very nice indeed.

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Wow they are better than I hoped. I sent you a PM with my address for shipping.

4. McKinneyMike

Thanks gentlemen. I had the wood and I was not going to be using it for furniture. I hate to waste lumber :)

5. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Mike~

Your master craftsmanship in wood shows through even in the reloading benches you made. I envy your talent. I'd like to see some of the furniture you've made over the years..

6. McKinneyMike

Thanks Joel, but I am just a hack :)

7. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

They don't look like a hack built them. You can't hide craftsmanship.:cool: