new barrel question

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by bjohnson_7, May 15, 2010.

1. bjohnson_7

bjohnson_7 Member

I have a M700 in .300 RUM. It has a KP barrel on it but I'm going to a larger barrel for long range work. I'm thinking of getting a Krieger with 5R rifling in the MTU contour. Are there any advantages to the 5R rifling? Is the contour heavy enough for long range work?

2. coyotezapper

coyotezapper Well-Known Member

With 5R barrel you will get a little more velocity and it will clean easier. I use Mike Rock barrels and they are awesome.

3. bjohnson_7

bjohnson_7 Member

What about the contour?

4. jeffro

jeffro Well-Known Member

MTU contour is plenty heavy for LR.

5. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

bjohnson_7, This is right from the Krieger website:

Q: What are the advantages of 5-R style rifling?

A: This is a tough one. There have been many reports and opinions on an "improvement" by using 5-R style rifling vs. conventional rifling. Many of these reports are of increased bullet speed, better gas seal on the bullet, less copper fouling/easier cleaning, etc. These are issues that are not prevelant with our traditional rifling style, so we really expect no improvement with our 5-R barrels. Our 5-R barrels are made with the same bore and groove dimensional tolerances and uniformity as our conventional record setting rifled barrels, so there certainly should not be a disadvantage. We offer the true Obermeyer style 5-R rifling in select calibers for shooters that feel there is an advantage to this style of rifling, you can be the judge.

6. bjohnson_7

bjohnson_7 Member

Yeah I read it on the website but I wanted to some opinions from actual users of the barrel not just the company.

7. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

My gunsmith ordered a 5r barrel from kreiger for a 300WSM last year just after they announced making 5r barrels and it came in end of Apr along with appr 10 more. I don't expect rifle to be finsihed June/July as I told no rush.

I think most shooter like to have afew months shooting before offering an opinion took me that long when I got a Broughton 5c was alitttle easier with the Bartlein 5r.

coyotezapper is right alittle faster easier to clean.