New barrel or powder for remington 700?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by my82cam, Jun 3, 2012.

1. my82cam

my82cam Well-Known Member

This is my first post here! I have some questions and thought someone one here could guide me to some answers, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I have a remington 700 in 30-06 that was originally a buckmaster edition, It has a bell and carlson bedded stock, leupold mounts and a weaver 4-12 scope(scope is going to get replaced but that thread is for another time) and a pretty decent trigger job. I reload using IMR4350 and 165gr nosler balastic tip bullets in Nosler brass. In 65-70 degree weather it normally shoots all 3 shots touching each other(shoots a 3 inch group with factory ammo) I went and shot it the other day in 88-90 degree weather and the best it would do is 2 inches. I'm thinking this is a powder issue causing my FPS to be different or erratic. I have been wanting to put a custom flutted barrel on my rifle and have the action trued, figured this is a good enough excuse to spend some money on it. I guess one of my questions is, what powder or loads do others use that are consistent in different temperatures? I have heard good things about varget powder but thought I would see what others have had good luck with. Thanks, newbie

2. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

First let me welcome you to Long Range Hunting. I have been hand loading for a few years
    ( 30 ) and have developed some opinions about powders. Usually Varget is best in smaller capacity brass than your 30-06. My 6mm Rem likes it very much.

H 4831 is going to be a better bet for extreme temp variations in your 06.
    H 4350 may also work well with higher velocities.

Something else that may be happening if your ammo has been loaded for a year or so, the bullets may be bonding to the brass in the neck area. If so, just seat the bullets a little deeper and you'll break the bond and have more consistent pressures.

Then again, maybe you'll have more fun re-barreling your 06 to something more interesting like a 280 or a 6.5-06. :D

3. Aldon

Aldon Well-Known Member

I use H4831sc for 30-06 and similar.

It has proven to be very stable.

I also read that H 4530 was pretty stable and have a load worked up for my 280.

Have no experience with IMR4530

I have used Varget for the lighter spectrum of bullets in the -06.

4. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

I use a LOT of 4350 of both IMR and Hodgdon in my 30.06 as well as Varget, Re19, and Re22. My go-to powder is usually IMR4064 with the 4350s in close second depending on what I'm loading and what it is for.

I have a 700 DM and put a fluted 22" PacNor on it in a #3 sporter. Love it.

5. my82cam

my82cam Well-Known Member

I am the type of guy, that when I find what my gun likes, I load that and only that and stock up on it, if I want to try a different bullet, I will buy another gun. I like to practice with what I will be hunting with, so, I have no surprises(at least I hope) lol I think I will try the H4350 and see if that is more stable than IMR. I know I wont be using my deer rifle in 100 degree weather on deer, but you never know what will come up! I am thinking of putting a shilen number 5 flutted, supposed to be around a sporter weight after flutting. I have also been spending time looking for a new scope. I am thinking of a leupold vx3 4.5-14 cds or LR but not sure yet