New barrel or new rifle

bobcat trapper

I have Winchester super shadow in 300 wsm that used to drive tacks. After about 2500 round the groups are starting to go to crap. here is the question would it be easier to sell the rifle and get another one or to have it rebarreled with say a lija barrel.I am going to stick with the 300wsm as a caliber though for sure.

I personaly would rebarrel it with a quality barrel and the action trueing you will have a real "tack driver". Also you can have a slightly tighter chamber cut with a throat to match you specific needs ie lighter bullet ,
VLD ogive , free bore or what ever. Also , it you shoot only light bullets then you can get a slower twist or faster twist if you want to shoot heaver bullets

Rebarrel. I would go with a 1-11 twist. It is good for up to 200s and down about as low as you want to go. I put a 1-11 Lilja on mine with a min SAAMI reamer and .344 neck. That is tighter than factory, but all factory fit into it with about 002-.004 in the neck.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.