New barrel options?

thehulk

I am looking to purchase a new barrel for my CMMG AR15. What is entailed in changing a barrel, what are your suggestions?

Would like a barrel what can withstand regular slidefire abuse.

Swapping barrels is pretty easy. Check ar15.com, they've got a whole section on it with instructions, diagrams, etc. As for a tube that'll hold up to regular slide firing... find the cheapest thing you can, and expect to do it farely often.

in my opinion look for a barrel with the 1-8 5R rifling and if you get one that is Melonite treated or NitroCarburized, the same thing really, they are inherently more accurate and will outlast a chrome lined barrel. Alot of people will say that it is not Mil-spec, no it is not. The mil-spec specifications are 50 years old and there have been some great advances in metallurgy in the past 50 years. Glock calls the treatment tennifer but its common name is Melonite and if you do a little research on it you will find that it beats chrome plating or any metal type in every catagory. If you would like more specific information. Please just ask, I have a whole lotta links on the specifics of it. Plus remington in their wisdom have gone to the 5R rifling on all the high end rifles.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.