New Barnes bullet testing.....

I understand. Especially in the normal hunting weight bullets, it is hard to get something to be accurate and reliable. That was why I had high hopes for the 265/338.

In my experience, all versions of the x have killed very well. I have only one first hand report of an x-bullet "failure," which was a 168/.308 from a friend's 300 wsm. It blew up on a broadside shot in a five pt bull elk at 100 yards. Elk died, but did not bleed out externally at all. Friend had to track him several hundred yards, relying on snow, not blood. I have a 300 ultra that has killed three large bulls (not all by me) with the 180 ttsx, with very impressive results. Two of the bulls were at 640 yards (I shot one, then my dad laid down behind my rifle and killed another that walked up to see why his buddy went down). One bullet in my bull was perfect mushoom that stopped against a heavy bone on far side, other bullets were pass through. The third bull was a 300 yard pass through, one shot kill.

I am not sold on accubond. I admit I have only killed one animal with it, but was not pleased. Shot a 140/7mm out of a 280 AI. Started at 3000 fps, so probably hit bull at 2900 fps. In the lungs, no bone hit. Elk stood there as if not hit, took two steps, and laid down. Died right there, but if he had run, there would have been nothing to track. I had similar problem with the berger 190 vld out of my 300 ultra. Bullet blew up in a bull, but that was at over 450 yards, so it was slowed way down. Also, I can get them to shoot well out to about 500 yards, but they seem to go off kilter after that. Don't know why. I just cannot hold groups with them at long range.

I have since switched to the 210 berger vld out of my carry rifle in 300 ultra. It killed my bull and a friend's this year, one at 505, the other at 460, both one shot kills, with complete pass through shots. Bergers are the most accurate bullet I have used in any 30 caliber rifle, too. Now I get the same accuracy as the 190, but excellent performance, by using the 210.

I would be curious to see that bullet next to the 285 Hornady match, it is suppose to be .720, I was plinking with some today, waiting for 300 berger.

Now i know that this thread is old but i need to ask Kirby a couple questions.

Kirby, have you done anymore testing with the 265 grain TTSX? Do you plan to test the 280 grain Barnes LRX?

Thanks, Riley

Resurrecting an ancient thread, I know, but I came across this and it needs attention.

I find that .638 for the GS 177 hard to believe but since they wont ever return emails or proccess orders, I cannot even try them to see for myself. It's too bad becuase it seems like even if .638 is too high, they probably have close to .58+ with a published expansion figure of 1500-1600 FPS. It would at least be nice to try them. I just ordered a 10x barrel just to run them but since they wont even accept may orders and emails I am about to just give up and cancel the order on the 10x barrel.

Michael,
I would appreciate it if you could let me know what e-mail address you used to send to as well as the address that you sent from, so that I can figure out what happened here. GSC has no record of ever getting an order from you. How many emails and orders should we be looking for? I know it is a moot point now, but hopefully we can prevent this from happening again.

My direct address is [email protected]

The information about the 308 cal 177gr HV bullet is all on this page.

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

If there are any suggestions of information GSC should add to the technical profile of a bullet, we are listening.

Gerard,

I just sent you a p.m. concerning lack of response as well to email enquireries I had sent about your bullets for my new .340 Weatherby. Just a heads up.

Very interesting thread and a good read. I had forgot about this one. Some follow up would be great now that it has been a while.

Sako 7STW,
Thank you very much for the heads up. I have mailed a reply and set up this thread to alert me if someone replies or sends a PM. I appreciate the response, thank you.

Not to hijack this thread but I thought it important that for the record Gerard and Gina have both been back in contact with me. I will be ordering some of their 225gr HV bullets to try. Hopefully they can supply them in a decent time frame.

Gerard, You stated "If there are any suggestions of information GSC should add to the technical profile of a bullet, we are listening." May I suggest a good BC hunting bullet in a 270-300gr for the mighty .338's that are out now days?

270gr or so is about as good as you're going to get in a high BC monometal.

Bullet length, stabilization and twist rates become problematic for heavy, long high BC bullets.

Last I talked to Anthony a couple of years ago they (GS) were working on such a 338 offering. I would think it would be accomplished by now?

I have had excellent performance with the 120TTSX in my STW on everything from coyotes, beavers, whitetail, black bear and mule deer. Accuracy is very good for me at 5/8'' three shot groups at 100 yards. I will admit that I have not killed with this bullet beyond 500 yards though.
In my 300 Rum I shoot 150 TTSX for everything mentioned above and switch to the 168TTSX for Elk and Moose. Again I find these bullets to give excellent accuracy by my standards and again have not taken any game beyond the 500 yard mark with this rifle as well.
I have had good luck with all brands but since 2008 have been shooting the Barnes at game, at our gong and they perform so I will keep using them.

Ressurecting this thread, I would like to know if the testing ever went further.

I have a .338 win mag on the way, and if this bullet truly does have a higher BC than advertised, it would be the magic bullet for the humble win mag.
I started another thread but it didn't seem to get any response.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.