New B, but glad to be here

captgoul

first time on this forum or any other for that mater.
"captgoul" was my handle many years ago. Gave to me by the Ticondaroga. If anyone recognizes it, let me know.
Hunt squirrel, rabbits, and eat them all. Just became interested in long range shooting.
have a Marlin xl7 308, 26" barrel, 6x24x50mm scope. (sniper). I guess from that you can tell I'm poor.
Hope to learn from the more experienced, and maybe someday help the less.
Thanks in advance to all, Captgoul.

Welcome. Not all of us can afford high dollar custom rigs. I can't; only one of my rifles has a aftermarket barrel on it. Do what ya can with what ya can afford and don't look back. Tha marlins can be good rigs if you take the time to get them going well. I used a borrowed xl7 in 25-06 last year to kill a mule deer and it did well. I now have one in 270 and if both of us are on it'll do 1/2" at 100 yards. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you for the welcome. I'm really enjoying this site and what it has to offer. I think I'm going to be happy with this Marlin. I'm zeroing it at 200 yards, working towards that anyway, only been at 50 yards so far and putting bullets right at a 1/4" above POA. Right where it should be. Hope to get to 200 yd range in next few days.
I do have a question I posed on the forum earlier and haven't got an answer yet. I'm trying to use the G7 calculator and it's telling me to dial in -0.3R for spin drift at 200 yards. But my zero is 200 yds. The program allows you to add the spin drift to the windage, but I'm set at no wind. I was wondering is it just me, or what. I would think zero would be zero and and any turret adjustments would be done before or after the zero. I hope this question makes sense, and does not make you wish you didn,'t welcome me to the forum. :)
Thanks again, Captgoul

I usually don't worry too much about spin drift since you zero it out anyway at the range you are zeroing at. I am more worried about drop and wind. Looking at rangefinders myself at present. Past 500 yards it sometimes gets a bit sketchy as to how far a critter really is.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts