New and need educated????

One thing, you may put the 243, 260, 7mm-08, 270, 280, 308 all in a hat and pick one and not notice much difference, but the 6.5x284 will dominate all of them, it is held back by the 24" barrel of the savage lrh, but with a 26" or longer barrel that round will shoot .612 bc 140 bergers at 3100fps, none of the rest compare.

Technically, a 26" will produce a higher velocity than the 24". I have two 6.5x284's. My Cooper has a 26". My LRH Savage generates velocities within 20FPS of my Cooper and is equal to my buddy's 26" custom. With both my rifles, and others I have known, best accuracy is typically achieved at lower velocity than max anyway so it' might be academic anyway. What makes my LRH is that it will place it's shots in a baseball sized target at 1000 yards and delivers 1000 FP energy. This rifle will out shoot a lot of custom jobs. IMHO you might be shortchanging the LRH because of 2" of barrel.

The one drawback of the 6.5x284 that I have not noticed mentioned in this thread is that about 1500 rounds is all the accurate barrel life you will get if you load it up as suggested. Other than that, yuppers there are real good reasons it does as well as it does in competition! Ask ANY of the top competitors who shoot it how many rounds they max out at before they take a barrel off due to worry about it suddenly "dying" in the middle of a comp... but if a rebarrel ever so often does not bother you then go for it!

Gary

The one drawback of the 6.5x284 that I have not noticed mentioned in this thread is that about 1500 rounds is all the accurate barrel life you will get if you load it up as suggested. Other than that, yuppers there are real good reasons it does as well as it does in competition! Ask ANY of the top competitors who shoot it how many rounds they max out at before they take a barrel off due to worry about it suddenly "dying" in the middle of a comp... but if a rebarrel ever so often does not bother you then go for it!

Gary

Agreed, barrel life is relatively short. Trade off for competitive purposes is superior wind drift, with low recoil compared to most of the other competition rounds. It holds most of the records. For competition and target that i do at the shorter ranges, I like the 260 which can give double that life. For hunting purposes though, most all rounds capable of effectively taking a a game animal at a thousand yards is going to run that range of barrel life, some, less.

Gary

That's true.

And, it's a double edged sword because it will quickly become your favorite rifle and you'll shoot it more than all the others combined.

...unless you have a 6br. In which case, it'll go 3000-4000 rounds.

And, for those trying to push 260 Rem or others to the same velocities as 6.5x284, they will experience shorter barrel life as well.

So, whatever you choose, shoot moderate/accurate loads and enjoy.

-- richard

If it were me I would choose the 6BR and handload my ammo :
It has great barrel life , Accuracy and long range capable for paper.
In short check out the benchrest shooters at 600 to 1000 yards and ask what they are shooting and what works without alot of detail. If your not reloading your own ammo just stick to the 308 It maintains good accuracy and barrel life and over the counter ammo. The 6.5 lacks barrel life [6.5x284] and the cost of ammo can be pricey

Greyfox not bashing because you have a 24" and a 26" but if you try lapua scenars you will likely find that the longer barrel finds accuracy at higher velocities and easily produces higher velocities due to the lapuas having a .0003" larger drive band than bergers which helps maintain dtability from 2700-3150 with no highly noticable effect on accuracy, and on deer and the like, they are just as effective as the bergers. I have hit 3182 in a 30" barrel with 3/8s moa at 100 but at that point vertical stringing at 1k was horrible. But like YOU said, don't be affraid of the fact it has a 24" barrel it is still very effective and in most cases if you want better accuracy than a savage you better start sving for a custom!

Greyfox not bashing because you have a 24" and a 26" but if you try lapua scenars you will likely find that the longer barrel finds accuracy at higher velocities and easily produces higher velocities due to the lapuas having a .0003" larger drive band than bergers which helps maintain dtability from 2700-3150 with no highly noticable effect on accuracy, and on deer and the like, they are just as effective as the bergers. I have hit 3182 in a 30" barrel with 3/8s moa at 100 but at that point vertical stringing at 1k was horrible. But like YOU said, don't be affraid of the fact it has a 24" barrel it is still very effective and in most cases if you want better accuracy than a savage you better start sving for a custom!

Thanks Backwoods. I haven't tried the Lapuas, but will. For the hunting I do, I much prefer the shorter tubes. Can't imagine getting much better accuracy with either of my rifles. Have shot several .25 moa groups with both at 500 yards. Over a dozen deer and antelope from 450 out to 998. Gonna try stretching it out another one or two hundred yards next season given the effectiveness at 800-1000 .

No problem buddy, I have a Brux that prefers the bergers, and my 2 factory savage barrels do extremely well with bergers and 142SMKs but they are always at best with the lapuas.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts