New Allen Magnum and APS rifle design finally ready to test....

SS7mm,

I think Richard was ready for his rifle before this past falls deer season, **** slow gunsmiths anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Anyway, he will probably shoot the thing better then I can anyway so it needs to go to its new home up north. I may get hunted down and beatin if the rifle were to head out to Washington before it is shipped North!!!

I would agree, the 6.5mm Allen Mag will be getting built here soon. Even in the less then comfortable conditions, once those bullets started landing in a group at 1006 yards, the smile was hard to wipe off my wifes face.

I have tried to talk her into my 6.5 Allen Xpress based on the 300 Dakota case but she will have none of that, she wants full tilt power, see why I married her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Yes, I would agree, I was very proud of both my wife's and my dads shooting on these two very windy days. They did the rifle builder and bullet maker proud!!

I will admit most of this performance in the wind is due to the bullet. Richard makes the best wind eaters I have ever used, one of the many reasons they are the only bullet I use in my Allen Magnums. Sounds like a promo speel but its flat out the trueth no matter how you look at it.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hurry up and get Richard that rifle and maybe he'll get on his die maker and get that die for the 185 gr a little quicker!!!

I know what you mean about those slow gunsmiths /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Now you have my attention-??????? I am curious as to noted rbbt wieghts, I am also ASSuming, that 270/277 designation is in fact .277 cal vs a model desig?And finally where can such critters be had?

Gnslngr,

Please understand that there are two(2) Allen Magnum rounds that shoot a 270 caliber bullet. The original is the "270 Allen Magnum" which is based on a full length 300 RUM case with the shoulder angle increased and body taper reduced.

The other round is called the "277 Allen Mag". This wildcat is based on the full length 338 Lapua case necked down to 270 with increased shoulder angle and much less body taper. The "277 AM" was designed at the request of my good friend Richard Graves for the ultimate 270 cal round.

Performance is similiar with both rounds but case quality and strength are significantly better with the Lapua based round. That said, it is also significantly more involved to form cases for as well so its kind of a trade off.

If your looking for a 270 Allen Mag or 277 Allen Mag rifle you can send me an e-mail at the below address. If your looking to try some of Richards Wildcat Bullets send him an e-mail at [email protected]

The bullets tested in this rifle were the Wildcat 169.5 gr ULD RBBTs. A new Wildcat Bullet will be here soon which was designed speicifically for the 277 Allen Magnum but will also work equally well in the 270 Allen Mag and other large capacity 270 wildcats. This new bullet will be the 185 gr ULD RBBT.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Dparks,

Currently, NONE!!

I am working on a 338 Allen Magnum based on the 408 Chey Tac case. Have all the componants in shop but need to work on customers rifles before my own so I can sleep at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

There will also be a 300 Allen Mag and more then likely a 375 Allen Mag coming this next year all based on the CT case.

There is also a 510 Allen Mag which I have the rifle and receiver for but need to get the barrel. This little pill is based on the 50 BMG case!!

Also in the "idea" stage is a 50 cal version based on the 408 CT case. This will also probably happen next summer or winter depending on research funds!!!

Is this the D. Parks that terrorized Bozeman MT with me???

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]

I am working on a 338 Allen Magnum based on the 408 Chey Tac case. Have all the componants in shop but need to work on customers rifles before my own so I can sleep at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

WEl hurry up so you can rest up really well and got on that .338 AM.

You know that after I get the first one I won't be happy with just it. So you had better get after it. That way Bill, Lerch, and the rest of the gang can all work out the bugs before I have time to save up for mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dparks,

Currently, NONE!!

There will also be a 300 Allen Mag and more then likely a 375 Allen Mag coming this next year all based on the CT case.

There is also a 510 Allen Mag which I have the rifle and receiver for but need to get the barrel. This little pill is based on the 50 BMG case!!

Also in the "idea" stage is a 50 cal version based on the 408 CT case. This will also probably happen next summer or winter depending on research funds!!!

Is this the D. Parks that terrorized Bozeman MT with me???

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I know how to work this BBS, I will answer again. Yep, it's me!! I am all but guaranteed a Montana antelope tag this year but the wife will allow me only 1 trip and there is a big (at least 26" wide, and thick) 5X5 whitetail in Nebraska with my name on it. So that means I am putting in for impossible to draw hunts only so that I will "fail" and get to go to nebraska to hunt Muy Grande! 2007 is when I figure to get to Montana speed goat hunting. So far this year, I have put in for New Mexico trophy elk, Oryx, antelope, and bighorn sheep plus Utah trophy elk. I still plan on putting in for Nevada trophy mulies, and probably a Colorado trophy something hunt.

Now, I am a big .30 nut, having given up the 7mm mag we use to chase speed goats and "dogs" with. I use my SAKO .30-.378, still use my 300 but also just got a .300 ultra.

Kirby, please email me the cost and time for your .300 Allen. Also say hi to Becky and your parents for me, hopefully speed goats in 07!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts