New 7mm SAUM Questions.

7 SAUM is my favorite round ; I have one and run 168 Berger VLD's through it. I run them just short of 3" by relieving the bolt stop so it travels just a little farther back , tweaked the rails a bit to allow feeding and using a Wyatts box. H4831 SC pushes them at 2900 into a .5 moa group. Baby your brass and snatch up whatever you come across cuz it ain't easy to find.

7 SAUM is my favorite round ; I have one and run 168 Berger VLD's through it. I run them just short of 3" by relieving the bolt stop so it travels just a little farther back , tweaked the rails a bit to allow feeding and using a Wyatts box. H4831 SC pushes them at 2900 into a .5 moa group. Baby your brass and snatch up whatever you come across cuz it ain't easy to find.
Relieving the bolt stop is accomplished by doing?
Thanks!

It is done as part of installing a wyatts extended magazine. Without the extended magazine it is pointless. It's not that bad of a job and shouldn't cost much. You mill the back of the magazine well back 1/8" and the longer box fits. Then cut the bolt stop back an equal 1/8" and you can now fit @ 2.99" col. You have to have bdl bottom metal to do this as you mill away the adl front trigger guard screw hole. You may need to tighten the magazine box a little by bending it in just blond c%×t hair to get it to feed right or mill the feed rails back a little. It's more than a strait bolt up job but not really technical work either.

It is done as part of installing a wyatts extended magazine. Without the extended magazine it is pointless. It's not that bad of a job and shouldn't cost much. You mill the back of the magazine well back 1/8" and the longer box fits. Then cut the bolt stop back an equal 1/8" and you can now fit @ 2.99" col. You have to have bdl bottom metal to do this as you mill away the adl front trigger guard screw hole. You may need to tighten the magazine box a little by bending it in just blond c%×t hair to get it to feed right or mill the feed rails back a little. It's more than a strait bolt up job but not really technical work either.
Thank you.. If I sent it to a shop, what would it run to get done?

I noticed leupold says the scope has 67.00 moa of elevation. Looking under the cap, I see 1/4 adjustments, but up to 14 moa, and that's it. So if it's 14, would that be 140 inches of drop at 1000 yards for instance? Where does the 67 come into play?

The box from Wyatt outdoors ran me about $36 tyd and I think I paid the smith $35 to mill the action and I fitted the box and cut the bolt stop myself. It should run less than $100 if the smith did everything I would think but I have thought wrong before.

I think you have the math right. I don't have a leupold scope but I think it's saying it has a total of 67" of travel a 100 yards . From center you have 134 "clicks of the dial" each way for really long range you can zero it at 200 yards with it in the all the way down position with a custom base or shims then have the entire 67 moa as elevation. It's a more extreme approach for people who shoot almost only at extreme long range and almost never short. I dont think you are in any danger of running out of elevation or windage if you center the reticle and sight it in.Yes , 10" at100 yards is 100" at 1000 yards.

The box from Wyatt outdoors ran me about $36 tyd and I think I paid the smith $35 to mill the action and I fitted the box and cut the bolt stop myself. It should run less than $100 if the smith did everything I would think but I have thought wrong before.

I think you have the math right. I don't have a leupold scope but I think it's saying it has a total of 67" of travel a 100 yards . From center you have 134 "clicks of the dial" each way for really long range you can zero it at 200 yards with it in the all the way down position with a custom base or shims then have the entire 67 moa as elevation. It's a more extreme approach for people who shoot almost only at extreme long range and almost never short. I dont think you are in any danger of running out of elevation or windage if you center the reticle and sight it in.Yes , 10" at100 yards is 100" at 1000 yards.
Oh cool. Maybe after enough experience and practice at shorter range with factory load, ill do that.

That's what I see. That's where it's now, and with his hand loads he thought 200 was 0'd. Now I only see 14 MOA there... how do you get to 67? That would be like a lot of change at 500 or 1000....

There is no stop on that dial. It screwa all the way each way until it runs out of travel. If it is zeroed then don't mess with it unless you have target turrents installed. I'm not sure if and how much it would cost to have them installed. Maybe some leupold fans can jump in and enlighten you.

There is no stop on that dial. It screwa all the way each way until it runs out of travel. If it is zeroed then don't mess with it unless you have target turrents installed. I'm not sure if and how much it would cost to have them installed. Maybe some leupold fans can jump in and enlighten you.
Alright. I believe i figured out where to get them. A little bit of money, but probably worth it when the time comes.
Thanks!

A couple of years ago I called Leupold to get my VX 2 changed from hunting knobs to target knobs. I think they usually charged $120.00 for both knobs but they were running a special. I paid $80.00 . I shipped the scope to them in an original box and they had it back to me in less than 2 weeks. If I had it to do again, think I would do only the elevation knob. I don't use the windage adjustment all that much.

Just thinking...currently that scope sits in the safe collecting dust. :D

Your mileage may vary.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.