New 7mm barrel, but which rifle build?

TBuckus

I'm having second thoughts on my build. The 7mm barrel is sitting at the gunsmiths. Need to head over there next week.

Got a donor t3x 270 for a 7mm build. 280ai was the plan.
But now I'm thinking of turning my Tikka 300wsm into a 7mm and turning the 270 into a 338-06.
I was planning on getting a new barrel for the 300 anyway since the factory one isn't ideal for shortening for a suppressor. (It can be done, but not sure how well it will shoot)

Reasoning?
338-06 for western Oregon short range elk/bear
7mmWSM for deer/elk- compared to a 280ai, recoil/velocity/energy should be pretty similar depending on how I reload

You will probably get a bunch of opinions on this for sure. Your original plan didn't sound bad to me. As to velocity I think a shortened 7 WSM would give you a little more power than a shortened 280AI. But neither are real common so I hope you reload cause you probably can't stop buy your local walmart and find either round. I don't know if a 7mm Rem mag could be an alternative or not but if so I would consider it as it would give you more velocity than the AI and be easier to find live ammo and reloading componets for.

I'm having second thoughts on my build. The 7mm barrel is sitting at the gunsmiths. Need to head over there next week.

Got a donor t3x 270 for a 7mm build. 280ai was the plan.
But now I'm thinking of turning my Tikka 300wsm into a 7mm and turning the 270 into a 338-06.
I was planning on getting a new barrel for the 300 anyway since the factory one isn't ideal for shortening for a suppressor. (It can be done, but not sure how well it will shoot)

Reasoning?
338-06 for western Oregon short range elk/bear
7mmWSM for deer/elk- compared to a 280ai, recoil/velocity/energy should be pretty similar depending on how I reload
I would change that to a 7 Sherman Max and a 338 Sherman Max or 338 Sherman LA. check out shermanwildcatcartridges.com

......Reasoning? 338-06 for western Oregon short range elk/bear.....

......338 Sherman Max or 338 Sherman LA. check out shermanwildcatcartridges.com......

Enough velocity increase to improve terminal performance from every bullet, at any range.

The .338-06, and Whelen in my mind suffer when loaded with the lighter weight stuff to get a little velocity improvement.

Or cover both ends with a .30-1-8" twist run the Hammer 199, or 214. I can't recall at the moment what Rich calls it.

You will probably get a bunch of opinions on this for sure. Your original plan didn't sound bad to me. As to velocity I think a shortened 7 WSM would give you a little more power than a shortened 280AI. But neither are real common so I hope you reload cause you probably can't stop buy your local walmart and find either round. I don't know if a 7mm Rem mag could be an alternative or not but if so I would consider it as it would give you more velocity than the AI and be easier to find live ammo and reloading componets for.

Reloading is not an issue. Planning on it!

I would change that to a 7 Sherman Max and a 338 Sherman Max or 338 Sherman LA. check out shermanwildcatcartridges.com
I"ve been eyeballing your stuff for a while. It's in my sights
Now I have a .473 LA bolt face and a .540 Mag bolt between the two. Which one are your talking about?

that is an option, but with a different rifle. I have a 338WM that I don't like to shoot due to recoil and I'm not a fan of brakes for hunting. Thinking of a 7RM for that change.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.