New .338RUM pack rifle

Please post pics along with performance, weight of the finished rifle, & your final cost. I'm looking towards a similar build for .338 cary rifle & I would rather learn all I can before I order anything!

Thanks!

Well I managed to get some photo's of the rifle. Hope you like them.

The rifle weighs in at about 9lb, so much better to pack than my 14lb Edge rifle.
The barrel is a Pac-nor #4 profile and 26.5" long plus brake.
The Remington 700 action has been trued and original trigger lightened to 2lb.
A .320" recoil lug was fitted.
Picatinny rail is a seekins with #8 size screws fitted.
Burris medium height Tactical rings. Will get some lower ones next week as these are a bit too high.
Bushnell 6500 scope in 2.5-16x44 mil dot reticle. 0.28 MOA clicks.
Brake is a Defensive Edge with the thread opened up to 9/16"x24.
Stock is a Boyd's and will most likely be replaced with a Manners MS-T next year when funds permit.
The recoil pad I just replaced after I took the photo's with a Limb-saver but it needs to be ground down to fit better.
Cost was about AU$1500

Will test fire it tomorrow and see how she shoots.

mypic54.jpg

mypic55.jpg

Last edited:
Mate looks the goods. Can't weight to get my new 1 , pick up the NF for it next week 2.5-10 x24 mill dot.
Can't wait to here how it shoots.

I can tell you it was brutal to shoot with that pretend butpad and no scope or rings. It will make a great stalking rifle with plenty of snot on each end to tell you it has gone off. All i would do is bed the rifle and squirt some paint on it and that is one hell of a stalking rifle for anything in Australia including bufalo's with the correct projectile.

I can tell you it was brutal to shoot with that pretend butpad and no scope or rings. It will make a great stalking rifle with plenty of snot on each end to tell you it has gone off. All i would do is bed the rifle and squirt some paint on it and that is one hell of a stalking rifle for anything in Australia including bufalo's with the correct projectile.

Hey Bill,
Notice the slip on kick pad............I put it on just for you. I know how much you like them. LoL..... Will put a few rounds through it today if it stops raining. See how she shoots.

Did Ok a Rosedale yesterday at 1000 with my 24" barrel in .308. Right up with the top spastics. Surprised a few.

Great looking rifle. If it wasn't destined for a stalker, I would shoot the barrel in a red to match the stock and leave it alone.

Hi Top Shot
Hoping to see the group sizes soon.

I hear she is shooting very well whilst mapping your pressure curves. MMMM I dont think that original crook 7mm barrel will be missed!

Looking forward to seeing the end result once you have it all beded up and a load worked out...velocity looks impressive and is a big improvement over the old 338 win mag.

TB

Well TS you have finally got yourself that "light weight" stalking and long range rifle all in one package you always spoke of and what a lovely outfit it is.
It certainly bridges the gap between your other stalking rifle, a Sako in 338 WinMag and the Edge. This one will easily get you out to 800 yards and I reckon beyond without any worries.
Another one of Geoff Grenfell's builds that is showing a lot of promise early in the piece after only a few rounds through it and it's not even run in.
Looking forward to a long range shoot out with this one against my light weight 338 when it gets built by Geoff.
My ABS carbon fibre wrapped Benchmark barrels will be shipped this coming Friday and hopefully my build will take place in January

Initial .338 RUM loading results look promising with the 250gn bullet while running in the barrel.
Only shots 2, 3 & 4 were fired as a group but they went into a 1/2" group.
Next I plan to pressure/velocity test Retumbo (AR2225) powder.

Barrel length 26.5"
Hornady 250 grain BTHP match bullet.
H1000 (AR2217) powder, CCI 250M primer, New Remington .338RUM brass.
COAL 3.645" to fit magazine.
Bullet 0.090" off the lands.
New case diameter measured just in front of web .544"

shot # Charge weight, Velocity, fired case diameter.
1 ........90gn H1000 .......2778 fps.......... .547"
2 ........91gn.................. 2800............... .547 "
3 ........92gn.................. 2833............... .547"
4 ........93gn.................. 2861............... .547"
5 ........94gn.................. 2912............... .5475"
6 ........95gn.................. 2941............... .5475"
7 ........96gn.................. 2987............... .548"
8 ........97gn.................. 3044............... .548"

Last edited:
I tried Retumbo today with the 250 grain Hornady BTHP bullet and got the following results.

I didn't bother to go below 95 grains as the velocity was just not there. Did not try above 97 grains as I could not fit any more powder into the case and still stay within magazine length.

95gn, Velocity 2868 fps, case head diameter .547" compressed load.
96gn, Velocity 2925 fps, case head diameter .5475" compressed load.
97gn, Velocity 2958 fps, case head diameter .548" compressed load.

Some observations are that it takes about 2 grains more of Retumbo to acheive the same velocity as H1000. Recoil seems heavier with Retumbo. Can get higher velocity with H1000.

Next I will test for accuracy with a couple of loads in the 2920 fps to 2950 fps range. ................Stay tunedgun)

Last edited:
MMMM I wonder who aligned the planets on this one! Just kidding!
Quality is there.

My old magnum mag box may help you!

Agree RE 25 works well, great speeds.
I used it a lot in the 300weatherby with 210 Bergers.

The issue is in summer is its very hot and in a warm chamber I've seen velocity spike right up on the chrony.

Retumbo and H1000 are made right here and always available to us down under. Top shot also has an Edge so he uses a bit of H1000 (ADI2217) !

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.