New 338 Lapua Magnum

Just recieved my new McMillan 338 Lapua EOL LRH rifle and attended the 2 day class in Phoenix put on by McMillan when you purchase one of there rifles. This was the best thing that could happen for me and learn how to use the SYSTEM setup. Bob Beck with Extreme Outer Limits and several Ex Military snipers were the instructors. We learned about the rifle and how to use the scope (Nightforse NXS 5.5-22x56 with level and ADI). We (16 people) shot medal targets from 350 + yards to 1830 Yards (longest target). It was a lot of one on one instructor help and was fantastic. I highly recommend this class and gun if you are thinking about it.

Does this photo look familiar? 1800 yards- Did you get a chance to shoot this? My schedule did not allow me to participate in your training cycle with Mr. Beck- I know from feedback from prior training cycles that some hunter types did not enjoy shooting primarily from the prone. I'm glad you enjoyed the training.

Mike

Attachments

• P1040615.jpg
    P1040615.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 17
  • P1040618.jpg
    P1040618.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 16
Does this photo look familiar? 1800 yards- Did you get a chance to shoot this? My schedule did not allow me to participate in your training cycle with Mr. Beck- I know from feedback from prior training cycles that some hunter types did not enjoy shooting primarily from the prone. I'm glad you enjoyed the training.

Mike

What magnification do you have your scope set on looking at the 1800 yard target??? Thanks. Currently trying to figure out which would be best for a .338 AX that Kirby is finishing up for me.

Jeff

The scope is set at 22 power it needs to be at max for the reticle to work correctly. Specs on gun are:
26 inch RemVar fluted Elite Barrel
1-10 twist
Jewel Trigger set at 2.75 lbs
20 MOA Base
A-3 Edge stock McMillan
13.75 inch LOP with 1 inch decal
Nightforce NXS5.5-22X56 Scope !000 Velocity Reticle
NF Rings with level and ADI mount
Total weight is 13 1/2 lbs

Last edited:
What magnification do you have your scope set on looking at the 1800 yard target??? Thanks. Currently trying to figure out which would be best for a .338 AX that Kirby is finishing up for me.

Jeff

I'm sorry, I do not know what the magnification was. It wasn't my rifle. I took the pic with my I-phone. My 338LM has a Bushnell Tactical Elite w/ a H59 reticle 5.5-25x56 power with a 34mm tube mounted on a Badger Ordnance 45moa base and rings. I have 27+ mils on the turret to mechanical top and 15Mils in my reticle depending on magnification- If I need 40mils- I'm calling it indirect fire- Might as well call in Artillery.

Mike

As a side note though- I have a 308 built on a 700 short action w/ a 20" Hart 1.250 straight tapered barrel on a McMillan A5 stock which put 4 rounds of 175gr. SMK Black Hills into that same 1800 yrd target. That scope was a Nightforce NXS FFP 5.5-15x56- It was shot at max- 15power... If you have the skill, not me- Rob from STA, former Scout Sniper and all around killer of all things evil made those shots- There were 4 instructors including myself spotting to confirm the hits. The holdover was top of the first cactus just left of 12 o'clock on the top of the ridge. The Instructors at STA- McMillan are the real deal-

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.