New .338 lanches a 300gr Sierra MK at 3500fps?

What new projectiles, or are we still talking only the monolithics we're already using? Is there any new conventional 375 bullet on the near horizon? I know Berger will do one one day...but what else is coming? A 400gn SMK would be nice, or a 350 to 400gn A-Max! :)
Greg

What new projectiles, or are we still talking only the monolithics we're already using? Is there any new conventional 375 bullet on the near horizon? I know Berger will do one one day...but what else is coming? A 400gn SMK would be nice, or a 350 to 400gn A-Max! :)
Greg

New Monos :cool:

Yep I'm sure Berger will do one or two, one day..... like the 195s

An Amax would be great the .338, 285s are very nice :)

Greg

I do not think the 375 cal needs 400 grains of bullet weight with the modern designs we have today. I would love to see Hornady go away from the plastic tip and step up to the aluminum tip like they do in the 50 cal A-Max. A 375 to 380 gr with a large tip, aggressive ogive and good boattail design would easily get into the .9 BC range I would think.

As far as berger, they have some 375 in the works, when they will be ready, your guess is as good as mine but they will be here someday.

Sierra really needs to get off their rears and start designing some new bullet designs. Not sure what it will take to get them off their butts and put a tip on an aggressively ogived bullet to get their BC up where they should be. Far to long they have been sitting around thinking that they have a huge share of the market and have no need to get back into the larger caliber long range bullets. I mean how long has the 300 gr SMK been with us unchanged. Its a great bullet, it could be much better. How long have we had the 240 gr SMK, its a dog ballistically.

Now I know what some of these companies will tell you because they have been telling me this excuse for many years, WE HAVE TO BUILD A BULLET THAT WILL STABILIZE WITH A STANDARD TWIST.......

A 1-10 twist bullet will EASILY stabilize any tipped 375 gr lead core/cup jacketed bullet.

I am not a fan of solids. Yes they are impressive ballistically but they have to be so perfectly matched to bore diameter that its a major chore to get the right combo in a functioning rifle. Yes it happens but I want a bullet that is consistant over a wider range of bore diameters which is what cup jacketed/lead core bullets give us.

Plus, they are better game bullets hands down.

Just my 2 penny's!!

What could one expect from an improved 375 RUM case with a 350-370 gr bullet or would it be better to start with a 378 Weatherby case. I'm just thinking what is possible without going all the way to the Cheytac case. As you know an RUM case would allow a M 700 action, is 3000 fps possible using an improved RUM case and a 350 gr bullet with a shorter bearing surface(Berger'ish)

What could one expect from an improved 375 RUM case with a 350-370 gr bullet or would it be better to start with a 378 Weatherby case. I'm just thinking what is possible without going all the way to the Cheytac case. As you know an RUM case would allow a M 700 action, is 3000 fps possible using an improved RUM case and a 350 gr bullet with a shorter bearing surface(Berger'ish)

I got 2875-2900 with the 350SMK & 330 CE in a 28" Rem 700, 375 Rum imp so 3000fps may be possible with a longer barrel & shorter bearing surface ?

You could go 375 Lapua imp-375 AX etc

Sounds like if Berger would do 350 gr that 2900-2950 should be achievable with a 30" barrel. That would be a hammer and wouldn't be too hard to put together

I am not a fan of solids.

+1, There are definitely some mono's with sleek design but lack the sectional density to compete in the BC arena with the heavier lead bullets of same weight. If mono's were so great they would be ruling the 30 and 338 world right now. I don't believe this is the case. 375 world yep and only likely by the lack of manufactures producing new products. I'm sure this will change with time. I would love to be a bug on the wall when a programmer designs a bullet matching form factor with weight (sectional density) based off a caliber.

It would be interesting if bullet manufacturers have considered tungsten as the base material? Cost/benefit for production? When pushed to lead free waterfowl shot this process took off along with the cost of $s to the consumer.

+1, There are definitely some mono's with sleek design but lack the sectional density to compete in the BC arena with the heavier lead bullets of same weight. If mono's were so great they would be ruling the 30 and 338 world right now. I don't believe this is the case. 375 world yep and only likely by the lack of manufactures producing new products. I'm sure this will change with time. I would love to be a bug on the wall when a programmer designs a bullet matching form factor with weight (sectional density) based off a caliber.

It would be interesting if bullet manufacturers have considered tungsten as the base material? Cost/benefit for production? When pushed to lead free waterfowl shot this process took off along with the cost of $s to the consumer.

I think there are problems with the bigger calibres, making the jackets thin enough for adequate terminal performance yet still survive the launch velocity/pressure, especially with the faster twists required for the heavy higher BC projectiles

I'm sure we can all remember the first Berger 300 grain 338s....

I think there are problems with the bigger calibres, making the jackets thin enough for adequate terminal performance yet still survive the launch velocity/pressure, especially with the faster twists required for the heavy higher BC projectiles

I'm sure we can all remember the first Berger 300 grain 338s....

True, with an additional manufacturing process or two proper nose design can be incorporated to assist with expansion and accommodate the desired results of hunting bullet terminal performance. All of this will come with a cost but when considering large calibers and case capacity with hunting platforms cost sometimes is not a predominant consideration with the consumer. We will spend thousands on a gun, scope, range finder, gas, reloading equipment, etc. What's an extra $.30 per round if manufactured correctly to ensure proper expansion yet have thick enough jackets to prevent failure? Those shooting mono's in large calibers are already paying high prices for the rounds.

I do have 338/416 Rigby Imp that Darryl Cassel gave me many years ago. I'll post a picture soon, just for comparison.

If I were me, I'd chose 338 Raptor over 338/416 Rigby Imp due to quality of brass.

Darryl's friend shot an elk close to 2800 yards with 338/416 Imp long time ago.
Darryl shot an elk around 2100 yards with this caliber.

338/416 Rigby Imp: Neck down and shoulder up. Remington brass is really soft and cheap. Throw out every two rounds if the load is hot.

338 Tomahawk: What is it? Very similar to 338 EDGE but a bit faster. It is based on 300RUM but bump the shoulder to 35 deg and wider. (less taper).

Attachments

• 338_416RigbyImp_338Tomahawk_6_5x284_6BR.jpg
    338_416RigbyImp_338Tomahawk_6_5x284_6BR.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 338_416RigbyImp_300RUM.jpg
    338_416RigbyImp_300RUM.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 74

In my testing comparing the 338 cal 300 gr SMK to the 375 cal 350 gr SMK in both my 338 Allen Xpress, 338 Allen Magnum, 375 Allen Xpress, 375 Allen Magnum. The 338 calibers will drive a 300 gr SMK roughly 50 fps faster then the same case capacity but with the 375 cal driving the 350 gr bullet weight.

The 350 gr SMK has a relatively short baring surface compared to the 338 300 gr SMK so I do not really see the baring surface being shortened all that much if Berger makes one, especially if bullet weight is increased to the 370-380 gr range.

The 375 AX will get 3000-3050 fps pretty comfortably in a 30" barrel length. Now that is on average, some will run a bit more, some a bit less. Now, a 375 RUM Improved has a case capacity roughly right between a standard 375-338 Lapua and my 375 Allen Xpress so I would say absolute max velocity with the 375 RUM Improved would be in the 2950-2975 fps range with 350 gr SMK. With a 370 gr bullet weight, I would say 75-100 fps slower.

Now, keep in mind how long we all were playing with the standard 338 Edge driving a 300 gr SMK to 2850 fps and it killed a hell of a lot of big game at some very long ranges.

IF we get a bullet with at least the same BC as the 300 gr SMK which should be easy to do, add in the larger bullet diameter, higher kenetic energy payload and in a bullet that expands reliably, the 375 cal will be a far superior bullet for long range big game hunting.

Basically it all comes down to getting a bullet with BC at least into the G1 +.8 range with a design that will allow top speed for bullet weight and also expand reliably.......

In my testing comparing the 338 cal 300 gr SMK to the 375 cal 350 gr SMK in both my 338 Allen Xpress, 338 Allen Magnum, 375 Allen Xpress, 375 Allen Magnum. The 338 calibers will drive a 300 gr SMK roughly 50 fps faster then the same case capacity but with the 375 cal driving the 350 gr bullet weight.

The 350 gr SMK has a relatively short baring surface compared to the 338 300 gr SMK so I do not really see the baring surface being shortened all that much if Berger makes one, especially if bullet weight is increased to the 370-380 gr range.

The 375 AX will get 3000-3050 fps pretty comfortably in a 30" barrel length. Now that is on average, some will run a bit more, some a bit less. Now, a 375 RUM Improved has a case capacity roughly right between a standard 375-338 Lapua and my 375 Allen Xpress so I would say absolute max velocity with the 375 RUM Improved would be in the 2950-2975 fps range with 350 gr SMK. With a 370 gr bullet weight, I would say 75-100 fps slower.

Now, keep in mind how long we all were playing with the standard 338 Edge driving a 300 gr SMK to 2850 fps and it killed a hell of a lot of big game at some very long ranges.

IF we get a bullet with at least the same BC as the 300 gr SMK which should be easy to do, add in the larger bullet diameter, higher kenetic energy payload and in a bullet that expands reliably, the 375 cal will be a far superior bullet for long range big game hunting.

Basically it all comes down to getting a bullet with BC at least into the G1 +.8 range with a design that will allow top speed for bullet weight and also expand reliably.......

Extremely well put Kirby :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.