New 338 Edge Project

smrkovsky

Hi everyone. I recently heard about the 338 EDGE after deciding it was time for a new custom rifle. I'm pretty much sold on the fact that the EDGE is what my gun will be chamberd in, but I have a few questions.

1) Is it true that in order to make a 338 EDGE you buy a barrel cut for a 338 and chamber it for a 300 RUM?

2) Will it use a standard Remington 700 mag action?

3) What length tube would give me the best performance a ranges past 1000yds.

4) How would I go about reloading the 338 EDGE? Custom dies? This is what I'm most confused with. I have read many different methods, but dont know which one is the most reliable.

Thanks for you help.

gun)

yes, you will get a 338 barrel, but the chamber will be a 338/300RUM, which is known as an "Edge" just picture the 300 ultra mag with a fatter neck holding a 338 dia bullet and wha-la. you have an Edge.

for 1k+ shooting a 30" tube would be the ticket.

a 700 action will work great, some modifications to the feed rails may have to be done.

Redding sells dies for this chambering. sometimes a bit of a wait is in order till they run another batch. custom dies are a possibility for any cartridge.

i've owned an Edge for a couple years now and simply put, it's the most enjoyable rifle i've ever owned. it seems to have a "target seeker" quality about it.

1. You order a 338 barrel blank and ream it with a reamer specific to the 338 Edge which is a 338-300 RUM. In theory you could use a 300 RUM reamer and finish with a 338 neck/throating reamer but its better to do the chambering in one step.

2. A standard Rem 700 magnum works fine. The feed rails will likely need to be opened up a bit to allow the fatter RUM case to fit through the rails if the receiver was originally made for a belted magnum. You will also want the receiver modified for a Wyatts 3.820" extended magazine box at least so you will not be cramped in space with this chambering with the long range bullets it prefers.

3. At least 26" minimum, 28" even better and 30" is the best for a dedicated long range rifle in my opinion. There is really no need for anything longer then 30".

4. You can order 338-300 RUM dies from Redding or in a pinch you can use standard 338 RUM loading dies and they will work well in most cases. To test my customers 338 Edge rifles I just use a set of 338 RUM RCBS loading dies.

Its a great round with lots of power and ballistic performance, about as much as will comfortably fit into the Rem 700 without alot of fuss.

Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for input. This should be enough to get me started. Now all I need to do is find a gunsmith to put it all together for me. I will keep you updated with my progress. Thanks again.

Oh, one more question. Do I buy 300 RUM brass, or what?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.