New 300rum

JP Hunter

In five days I will have my Rem.700 in 300rum. It's just the basic gun. I would like to get a good barrel and a stock put on. Not sure what work it needs for long rang hunting. Need a good trigger and a gunsmith. Any info will help.

i would shoot the gun first and see how it shoots then get the trigger done and get it bedded or maybe a new stock. i wouldnt rebarrel it yet i would burn up the barrel it has now getting use to shooting it unless the accuracy is bad from the get go it took me a while to get use to the recoil with mine i don't use a break

Like stx said, shoot it and see what happens. My bone stock LSS shoots consistent 3/4 MOA. If you were going to shoot in matches, I would say have it worked over to allow for long sessions and many shots. But for hunting, it may be pretty decent already. Recoil is a bitch though. Like stx, I don't use a break and it hammers me pretty good. I can usually go about 12-15 rounds before it really starts to bother me. At 6'3" and 240 lbs, I've got a decent amount of mass to take it, but the shoulder gets a bit sore. Needless to say, I only use it for hunting.

some options

I don't use a break on my RUM either, but found a mercury recoil suppressor in the butstock helped me get back on target a little bit quicker. If you are looking to upgrade to a thumbhole stock the HS Precision pro hunter thumbhole has been a good stock for me. I glass bedded the original stock and it helped tighten the groupings, and the HS stock is shooting better without the glass bedding. I will probably bed the stock when I rebarrel.

The factory trigger on my 700 CDL was very inconsistant for trigger pull and I upgraded to a rifle basix. This was an easy upgrade and again, found to be helpful in shrinking the groups.

Good luck with your new rig. I have loved my RUM since I bought it and enjoy being able to tinker with it as I have funds.

Alan

My factory 700LSS was an OK shooter but I bought the 300 RUM with the intention of shooting loongrange. If the gun can't shoot groups less than .5moa, reliably, than I would not have the confidence to use it for longrange hunting. That's just my criteria - others may feel differently.

My rifle was sent out to Chris @ LSR for a new Broughton barrel and all of the usual machine work. It should be back in a few short days. :>)

I would shoot it a little. At least get used to it. If it needs some improvement then make a plan and get it tuned up.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts