New 300 WSM load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by brentc, Jul 30, 2010.

1. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

I figure some of you guys could find this load information useful. I was trying the new 168 gr E tip in the 300 WSM. I was drawn to this bullet due to the good B.C. of .503 and the velocity I could theoretically reach with RL-17. I have loaded the 180's with good results, but I wanted a flatter shooting load that would carry downrange energy comparable to the 180.

Here is my load info, use at your own risk.

Browning A Bolt 300 WSM
    168 gr Nosler E-tip
    COL 2.84
    67.5 gr RL17
    Norma case
    CCI 250
    3200 fps
    best group .35 @ 100 yards
    ES for 6 shots: 7 fps

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. fireroad

fireroad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I am considering this bullet if the 180 gr Accubonds don't fit the bill in my rifle. Did you consider the 180 gr e-tip or were you going for speed? What's been your experience with the Norma brass? I can never seem to find it in stock so I went with Winchester.

3. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

I've used the 180 E tip with RL-17, but I struggled to find a load as consistent as I wanted with RL17. There were times I got a glimmer of hope, but after several range sessions I wasn't able to nail down a combination that worked consistently in my gun.

I've got a great load at about 2980 fps with the 180 E tip and H4350, but I felt I could get a little better performance out of the gun by trying a little different combo. With the high B.C. of the 168 and pushing it faster I can equal the downrange energy of the 180 with a flatter trajectory.

4. mtelkhntr78

mtelkhntr78 Well-Known Member

Brent, Thanks for posting your results! I have had similar results with 67.5grs or RL-17 over 168 grain Barnes.
    Please keep us posted on what you find with 180 gr research. I am going to start working a load for RL-17 behind some Bergers.

5. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

I've been working to find a load with 180 Etips between the 66 and 66.5 grains of RL17 and haven't been able to nail a load down, but the velocities are outstanding. I'm thinking I will find a good load somewhere between 65.5 and 66 for every 180 I shoot. I did however, find the seating depth my rifle likes with the E tips. 180's and 168's both work well at a 2.84 COAL.

Without going to the heavies, I've darn near convinced myself that the 168 with RL17 is a better option than the 180. It offers everything I want for hunting, good B.C., great velocity, and plenty of energy.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. fireroad

fireroad Well-Known Member

How far off the lands is that?

What's been your impression of the Norma 300WSM brass?

7. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

The Norma brass has been great so far. Time will tell how long they last before loose primer pockets or other special treatment. I bought 100 cases last year.

About the lands distance. I've never noted the distance to the lands. I measured it once, but it was past what i can fit into my magazine. So I've never given it much thought. I'm limited to around 2.864 on mag length. I just find the most accurate COAL that will function well in my mag and I've had great results with quite a few different bullets.

8. mtelkhntr78

mtelkhntr78 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! I need to try and bring my seating depth out a bit more on mine. I think I can get some even better results having them be a little longer. Thats when I plan on incorporating the Bergers.
    I am with you on 168 vs 180. 168 gr bullet packs plenty of whallop and that what I have killed the majority of elk with.