New 300 Win mag

mountainman56

A good friend of mine is wanting to start playing at longer ranges out to 1000 meters. He had recently won a new 700 in a raffle and wanted to build off that. Blueprinted the action (nearly a waste of time as this particular action was very true), threaded and chambered a sendero contour McGowan barrel with 6 straight flutes and installed one of Ryan's 5 port brakes on the other end. Decided to try a Timney Calvin elite trigger that I am very impressed with (set at 16oz). Bedded it into a Bell and Carlson Tactical medalist with adjustable cheekpiece and mounted a Vortex Viper 6-24 with TPI rings onto a 20 moa picatinny rail.

Timstoy2.JPG

Before handing it over I did the barrel break in and also went out the next day and shot 3 - 3 shot groups just to try and get an idea what we had. Left group was 215 berger hybrids, upper right group was 208 grain A-max and the lower right was 190 SMK's with 7828 (I also shot a 2" group on steel at 500 yards with this load).

Timtoy3.JPG

I just wanted to find him something that he could play with while he worked up his own load. I loaded him a box of the SMK's and delivered the rifle. His first day at the range he had a ball and was consistently hitting 4" steel at 500 yards. Unfortunately the long side of the range was closed for a competition but I suspect he'll do fine there as well. I feel like a proud father :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.