New 270 WSM

tscott

I have a new 270 WSM, in a rem 700. In my other rifles, I favor berger bullets. Berger does not make a bullet for my new gun. Can anyone give advice and some pet recipes for the 270 WSM for long range stuff. Application is for deer and elk.
Thanks. Tim G

[ QUOTE ]
I have a new 270 WSM, in a rem 700. In my other rifles, I favor berger bullets. Berger does not make a bullet for my new gun. Can anyone give advice and some pet recipes for the 270 WSM for long range stuff. Application is for deer and elk.
Thanks. Tim G

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, not so fast! Berger will be announcing their .277 bullets as early as this month. My understanding is they will offer 130, 140, and 150 VLDs. I sent them an email last month about it, now that they are advertising hunting bullets. I wrote to them asking because if they are going to supply hunting bullets, they might as well offer bullets for the most popular calibers, including .277. Obviously, they had already began.

Keep checking their website.

Are you using Winchester or Norma brass? If you haven't bought anything yet, I would highly recommend Norma. It is easier to tune and shoots better in this caliber from what I have seen lately.

I used the 140 grain Accubond and Imr4350 in the last gun and it would shoot 3/8" groups at 100 yards and had very uniform velocities.

Winchester seems to be less forgiving.

Goodgrouper, I haven't loaded for this new gun yet. I've been using Win. brass for my other stuff. I have never tried Norma brass, but I will. Thanks

The powders that have worked great for GG and I in the past with the 140 NAB are Imr 4350--RL 19 and RL 22. Start with the 4350 like GG suggested. It has given good velocity and great S.D.s without crushing powder kernals like you do with RL22 and slower powders. The H and IMR 4831s are in the right quickness or burn rate with the 140s also---RHB

Thanks You Guys, If anyone else has a good recipe for 270 WSM, I would love to try it.
Tim G

Tim
If you can get your hands on the Swift loading manual look at the loads for the 140gr A-frame. The RL-25 loads worked very well for me. I won't say exactly what load I use but it is near the top. When I switched to Norma brass I had to cut it back. The Norma seems to be thicker and has less case capacity. This bullet is the best I've used on everything. So far it has taken 3 Elk 2 Antelope and several coyotes as targets of opportunity. Resist the urge to run from the sticker price they are worth every penny

any word on these berger .277 bullets yet. ive got a 270wsm and cant wait for these to come out!! the wait is killing me. im curious what the b.c. will be on these bullets.

i shoot the 140gr nosler accubond (.496 bc)in front of 60gr of imr4350 @ 3150fps

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.