New .264 Win Mag, 700 Sendero-II

CatShooter

Well....

Sannie Claus came early this year.

I bailed my .264 Remington 700 Sendero-II Flutie out of layaway jail this morning.

It is identical to the Rem 700 VS-SF-II (Varmint special - stainless Fluted - II), except that it is on the long action - even the stock is identical.

Like any kid with a new toy, as soon as I got it home, I took it apart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

First off... it IS fitted with the new 2006 trigger, and the trigger, out of the box is SIXTY OUNCES - Yup - that's less than 4 pounds for a Remington rifle - the company that invented the 10 pound trigger in a factory rifle. Say your prayers, cuz hell is about to freeze over.

There is no creep and a very tiny bit of over travel. I will probably lighten it this winter when I know more about the trigger... but I could live with it the way it is.

The 2006 trigger is very different than the old one, and 'smiths will take some time to get used to it. It is a very good improvement over the old one.

The finish is that of fine wire brushed stainless, (not sand blasted)... not a high gloss, but not subtle either - this is not a "sneeking up stick". This is definitely a long range marksman's rifle.

The throat is fine... I can load the 95gr V-Maxs to touch the leade and still feed them in the magazine.

Usually I do a lot of work on a new rifle, but the only fiddling I did was bevel and polish the square leading edge on the magazine box so it would flow smoothly into the feed ramp on the action. Every thing else was fine.

The flutes have a black "stuff" in them, so the barrel has a striped "black and steel" look... I'm not a fan of flutes, as I think they are a fad and just for fashion... and for a "fashion statement", this is the cats ***... it is 9 yards of flashy.

I put a Leupold MK4-M3 on it, with MK4 rings, and Leupold QRW bases... when I get the drops, I'll have Leupold make a custom cam for it (BDC for your guys that are technically PC)...

Summery - I was real worried when I ordered it, cuz my last two Remingtons were both expensive disasters, but I friggin' LOVE THIS SENDERO!!

I don't think I can wait for spring time to shoot. I'll probably die of frost bite (it's in the 30's here), but I'm gonna shoot it soon as possible.

Congrats on the new toy! I have the same rifle in .300 Ultra and with 180 or 200 gr NAB it shoots lights out!

Catshooter ,

Good for you w/the remington ,I bought a new xr-100 22-250 about a year ago and have to say the fit and finish are second to none.It shot 1/2" groups on the first load developement test ,barrel broke in -in 40 rounds.
Wonder if remington will come out w/some different cartridges this year ? A 338 rum might sell well so they probably won't do that -oh well pipe dreams are fun.
Glad you're happy w/it and hope it shoots well -Mike

Ol' Mike...

One of my recent Remington disasters was a .204 XR-100.

I bought one last March, and it shot 2"+ groups. It had a 1/2" gouge in the chamber wall.

I sent it back and Rem replaced the whole gun. New one shoots nothing in less than 1", most in 1.5"-ish.

I like the gun, and LOVE the XR-100 action but I'm wore out with it. I'm going to send it back and have the barreled action replaced in .223 (like I neeeed another .223, I have 6 of the little pests) - more money down the drain.

Catshooter ,

Sorry to hear about the crappy luck w/the xr-100.
On the new caliber comment i was reffering to the sendero II moreless.I've heard about the 17 m-iv thing -should do well -the wildcat version sure has.Best to ya -Mike

Catshooter,
I have had the same model but in 7mm Rem Mag for several months now and it is a fine shooter. Right out of the box, no fixes or touch-ups - but I assumed someone had given it some TLC before I got it. Do you think hell did freeze over and they are actually putting on decent triggers or did you just get lucky? Even bigger question, did they fire the limp-wrist son of a bich that was responcible for tightening the stock-bolts? I have seen new Rems that had absolutely loose stock bolts. How in heck is a rifle supposed to shoot like that? Drives me nuts when the stock bolts are loose.
Very interested to hear how your new toy shoots. I have been shooting 140 AMAX and 142 Matchkings in my 6.5-284 Cooper with very good results on paper and deer.
Hmmmm, someone got a new Remington and didn't have to workover the trigger - never thought I would see the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hello Ian...

[ QUOTE ]
Very interested to hear how your new toy shoots. I have been shooting 140 AMAX and 142 Matchkings in my 6.5-284 Cooper with very good results on paper and deer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hopeful on this. I'll be shooting it on Monday and Thursday this week. I have loaded two each of some feeler rounds of 4350 and 4831, with the Hornady 95gr V-Max, and based on what I see on Monday, I'll load up more of the best for Thursday.... so I'll let you know.

I have a Leupold MK4-M3 on it, as it is intended to be a Godzilla Varmint rifle. A family member raises pedigreed cattle and has problems with 'yotes and feral dogs. The feral dogs are worse than the coyotes. I have shot at both a lot and they are very wary. I used a 40XB 300WM on them for a few years, but it was just too much gun (at both ends), and I don't think the 178 A-maxs were coming apart like I thought they would.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think hell did freeze over and they are actually putting on decent triggers or did you just get lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the trigger may be good because of the new trigger. Besides the one in the gun, I have one (by itself) on the bench to play with, and it is a major overhaul of the old trigger. I'm going to be taking pictures and writing it up. The finger pad feels REALLY nice.

But I may be lucky... I'm the only person that has the new trigger that I know of... no one else has posted about it on the sites that I visit, though all the "wanna be experts" are speculating about it.
I would like to hear from other guys that have the new trigger. It IS adjustable, and has allen screws now.

Rem just started shipping the new triggers in the beginning of the summer. My rifle was made in July (barrel code is "O") - does your 7mm Mag have the new trigger or the old one??

[ QUOTE ]
Even bigger question, did they fire the limp-wrist son of a bitch that was responsible for tightening the stock-bolts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was funny... just like a kid, first thing I did when I got it home was take it apart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The bolts were in there hard... I mean it took a lot of pressure for many turns to get them free. Felt like when you screw up a glass bedding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif This is usually a sign of badd bedding or a poor fit or poor machining of the aluminum block... so I was pretty worried.

But after looking at the insides, and polishing the front of the magazine box feed lips, I put it back and the screws went in with NO resistance all the way down, then snugged up and went hard solid in less than 1/2 turn... that means that the bedding is rock solid with no spring - so go figure it, I can't.

But it locked up tight and I'm happy. It is the nicest non-40XB that I have bought from Rem in 15 years - if it doesn't shoot, I'm gonna be really be grumpy!

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, someone got a new Remington and didn't have to workover the trigger - never thought I would see the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... who woulda thunk it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter, Very interested to hear how your new toy shoots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Ian...

I went out today for the first trials

10x Leupold MK4-M3 scope.

Winchester brass (new out of the bag, no weighing or cleaning up).

BR-2 primers.

95gr Hornady V-Max seated to just kiss the leade.

Two rounds each:

H-4831SC

66gr 3345 - 0.429"
67gr 3409 - 0.863"
68gr 3451 - 0.541"
69gr 3508 - 0.352"

No signs of pressure.

Several of the groups showed promise... and I can live with a 0.6" rifle... but the next groups are:

H-4350

65gr 3574 - 0.323"
66gr 3613 - 0.254"
67gr 3665 - 0.297"
68gr 3703 - 0.157"

No signs of pressure.

The extreme spreads of all the loads did not exceed 18 fps, most were under 12 fps..

So Ian... to answer your question, this thing shoots like a $3k custom rifle, out of the box, and cost eight hundred and change.

Nice thing is that as the loads are increased, the groups don't wander all over the place. They pretty much stay on the point of aim.

So much for all the "theories" that belted magnums can't shoot, and the .264WM is an inaccurate cartridge.

H-4350 looks more consistant, so I'm gonna make up some more loads of H-4350, 66, 67, 68... plus 69 and 70, and pick the best on thursday. Then I load up the rest of the 220 cases, and work up a rough ballistic drop chart for the spring... this is the best non-custom, factory rifle I have ever owned.

<edit>

I looked at the loading data avilable, and the 68 gr of H-4350 is up close to max, so I'll load five of 66, 67 and 68, and go with the best... I don't want to burn this puppy up testing loads, or running with flat primers.

Catshooter,
Great to hear that Remington is making a decent rifle - not sure they had any choice with the competition out there. I have a suspicion this rifle is going to be shot long a bunch. Now if you could line about 25 tomcats on a wooden fence at 700 yards - I would spot for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.