New .260 Savage

My thinking: ...... I had already bought an action to have converted to a 260 ....... but the more I figured the more I realized it would not cost that much more to have one built from scratch .... and .... the build would have much more resale value. An accurized "somthing else" is still a "something else" when trying to sell it and would bring very little more than a regular "something else"...... plus I had always wanted one custom built just l ike I wanted it. The wait is loooooooooong. Hopefully it will be worth it. I hope you get a good rifle whichever way you decide to go. I have studied and talked to many people for about 3 years before I made the decision for a 260. My conclusion is it will be a perfect caliber for my east coast hunting. If I lived out west I would likely choose something else.

Last edited:
i am taking my stuff to my gunsmith tomorrow. for my 260 build.
my barrel came in earlier this week brux 1-8 twist finishing at 26" long
interrupted fluted stainless steel that has been shot blasted.
my action is a trued Remington 700
jewel trigger with bottom safety.
muzzle brake from defensive edge.
the stock is a tube frame. kind of like a tubbs
it will take any AR butt stock. and it completely free floating hand guard.
as a matter of fact i can go from a 243- to a 308 in just about 5 minutes
with a barrel that has the head space already set to match my rem action.
the clip is an accuracy international 5 round clip.
i will send pix probably in about 2-3 weeks after my gun smith get's it all put together
my scope might be a night force my friend has an extra one that he told me i can have for 1175.00 it is a 5.5 X 22X 56
but not sure if i want that or an IOR or sightron 111
Not sure on what rings yet does anyone have any suggestion???

Savage's new 2009 Accustock does not come chambered in 260 Remg in any of the Weather Warrior series hunting rifles. They will however chamber that caliber for you by going through their Custom Shop. I wanted to order the 16FHSS Weather Warrior in 260 and they would do it for an additional $90. I have instead decided to have it chambered in 257 Roberts. If I had gone with the 260 the barrel twist would have been 8".

First off

The gun was a 22/250 Winchester Mod. 70 HBV. Had it rebarreled by G.A. Precision. Same contour as the HBV. Rock 5R 26" 8 Twist I'm using Win 7mm/08 brass (as i'm not a fan off Rem brass) With the 129 SST i'm using 42.9 grns. of H4831SC. This is my accuracy. I have not chrono'd it , but i'm guessing about 2700.

I shot out the barrel on the 22/250 HBV and bought another 22/250 HBV at which time i was looking for a 243 HBV but couldn't find one. I also have one in 308

Finally Chrono'ed it today looks like 2915fps Avg.
140 A-maxs
45.0gr RL-19
R-P Brass
CCI BR-2
2.880" O.A.L. @.010" off lands

We hunted a bit yesterday, I missed a groundhog at 685ish. Kevin took some video, hopefully it don't make it to YouTube!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.