New 25-06 Barrel, Twist & Length

Savage 25-06

OK: This is what I have, and what I want to do. I have a Savage Axis left hand bolt action.

I want to order a longer Barrel, My Q: is how long, and a Bull Barrel, or not a Bull Barrel.

Use: Deer hunting, antelope, maybe an Elk, Coyotes, and paper punching.

I don't want a new rifle, this is what I can afford, and I will build a new stock for this build.

So if I can get some feed back on Barrel length and what folks thought on a Bull Barrel may be. I"M NOT worried about the weight, just the OVERALL Accuracy I can attain (Knowing my Shooting ability as I do.

Thanks in advance.
Savage 25-06

Thanks Mudrunner, do you think or know that there is nothing to gain with a few more inches of Barrel. Respect your two cents, just trying to learn why?

Savage 25-06gun)

You will gain some velocity with a longer barrel. And sometimes more accuracy down range (most likely because of the extra couple inches of travel, and the gained velocity).

I have a custom build Sendero SF in .25-06 Ackley Improved, and it wears a 26" sendero (varmint) contour barrel with a 1:10 twist. Shoots great, and I can shoot about 5 shots before it gets too hot and I have to let it cool down.

Accuracy is incredible with Berger 115 VLD's, even though I'm not even done ladder-testing my loads yet for final accuracy node testing.

Depends on alot of factors. I personally wouldn't see a need to go over 26" on a .25-06, since I wouldn't be shooting it beyond 750 yards on game (small lightweight bullet)...But in the end it's your preference, and your call.

I wouldn't shoot mine beyond 500 yards on deer sized game or larger, simply because I have other rifles that can do the job with alot more authority. But that's just my personal opinion and preference.

There's lots of other .25-06 shooters on here. I'd get everyone's opinoin on here before making a final decision on my opinions alone.

Like Mudrunner said, run a 26" barrel. Choose your preference for how thick the barrel should be and take off. You could also look at a 27" or 28" Barrel as well.

RHC, thanks for the post, do you know what I'll gain with a longer barrel. price is not that much difference, So to add to gain distance and or accuracy I surely don't mind.

Savage 25-06 gun)

I wouldn't know. I had a buddy who had a Sendero .25-06 with the 26" barrel. He literally shot the barrel out. When he did, he had a gun smith true up the action and bolt face, then install a 28" Bartlein Barrel if I remember correctly using a match reamer. Anyways, shooting it over the chronograph from the old barrel to the new, he gained about an average of 113 FPS more which really isn't a whole lot or even noticeable to begin with. 26" barrel if it were me even though my .25-06 has a 22" barrel. So in reality, you might gain a 100 FPS IFFF you are using the right powder and bullets in perfect conditions. I honestly wouldn't know what length of barrel would start to show no gain in velocity or accuracy. Hope this helps.gun)

RHC Thanks, theres always a little bit one can take from each post, I know the choice is mine in the end, but I love hearing everything from everyone.

Savage 25-06 gun)

.25-06 Remington is a hell of a cartridge. Mine shoots Bergers like nothing else. Good luck to ya.

Thanks RHC, well I'm 100% on a Bull Barrel which I was leaning towards any way and after reading more on the benefits of a Bull Barrel I believe thats my best choice to supreme accuracy. Now for the length.

Savage 25-06 gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.