New 243 Ackley Imp. Build.... NEW PICS !!!

BB I had the same thing

We hope to draw some tags in Unit 71 (I think that is where I applied). We put in for the two reduced price doe tags as well as buck tags.

Perhaps, you can come out for a while and sit with us and wait for the wind to die down. Thats mostly what I do.:D

Just a note on the flush cups, don't trust them. The ones I installed myself seem to be holding up pretty well but MacM made some kind of mistake on the ones they installed on my A5 and one of them lets loose at strange times.

happening to me with one of the flush cups on my 300 winnie A5 stock . Getting a light and inspecting the groove the ball bearings ride in revealed a bit of epoxy or whatever it was glued in with that was in that groove . It was only a portion of the way around the groove but if the ball bearings got turned to just the right point the male portion would pop right out .

At that point I made some scraping tools and cleaned out that groove and inspected the other ones on all my rifles .

jimmba

Got George aka gliechty (username) here on LRH. Building me a new 243AI...

here are the specs...

The build will be as follows:

McMillan A5
Remington S/A stainless blueprinted, trued to centerline, threads, boltface lugs recut off centerline. All surfaces concentric
Badger recoil lug
ABS carbon barrel 7.75 twist .243 caliber #7 contour 26" finished length, 11 deg crown
Badger detachable mag system with one 5rd mag.
Pillar and marine tex bedded.
Trigger tuned to 2.5 lbs
Reamed with PTG reamer 243 AI.

His website is here:

Home Page Your source for long range tactical and hunting gear.

A5.jpg

a5_build.jpg

Counting down the days...

Congrats on the build!! My .243 AI (built by Kampfeld Customs) should be finished this month and I can't wait!!

Do you know the approximate weight yours will be?

thanks...

what are the specs on yours ?

mine should weigh in around 9.5 to 10 lbs. I think George said...

I find out for sure and let you know..

Scott

Scott,

-700 Stainless Short Action, trued
-Factory stainless bottom metal
-Ti bolt fluting, blackend flutes
-Bolt knob- Campfire knurled
-Christensen style bolt holes
-Broughton barrel-5C rifling-#5 contour,1/8 twist ( I really wanted to do a carbon barrel, but the price was a killer, next one for sure!)
-Spiral Fluting on barrel, blackend flutes
-Kampfeld double pinned recoil lug
-Manners MCS-T 100% carbon fiber stock, with an automotive clear coat finish, pillar/glass bedded.
-Tuned factory trigger for now, possibly a Kepplinger set trigger later.

I'm excited, its my first custom!! :D

Adam

Sendero man FWIW

here is a pic of a fireform load target for my Surgeon actioned 243AI .

5552.jpg
specs for it are as follows : Surgeon action , Schneider bbl , 30" length , 7.5 twist , hvy9 contour . A5 stock . Its topped with a 8X32X56 NF NXS with a NPR2 ret .

This is not a tuned load . Just a fireform load that has worked good for me with several 243 AI rifles . I take this load and go shoot with confidence ,then , when they are all fireformed and I tune for the rifle my confidence level goes through the roof .........with good reason !

I have pages and pages of load combos for this caliber and a fast twist bbl . Holler at me if you want any of the info .

You will love your new rifle , please post pix of it and keep us informed of your load development .

jimmba

Last edited:
Re: New 243 Ackley Imp. Build....

Word I got from George is it is done and I should have it by Friday !

He test shot it this weekend and said it is "sweet"

I'll post some complete picks when I get it in my hot hands ....

here are some quick shots he sent me last night....

PICT0040.JPG

PICT0041.JPG

PICT0045.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.