New 215 and 230 .30cal hybrid Berger

gcamp54

With the newest .30 cal hybrids out from Berger I was wondering about the seating depth with the 230s in a standard long action magazine. With a G1 BC of .743 the 230 gr is getting up there. The first concern I have is fitting the round in a standard mag. I read some of the posts but haven't seen much from those using this bullet in a 300WM and the seating depth. Anyone having trouble seating out to the lands and fitting the rounds into a standard long action mag with a 300WM?

Gordon

I know you can make it fit but those bullets will be deep into the case. This has always been the problem with short magazines and long bullets. Supposedly the hybrid bullets are more user friendly with variances in seating depth. All you can do is buy some, seat to fit and feed from your magazine and see if they will shoot. Don't sweat any potential loss of velocity due to the bullet being buried in the case. I figure higher BC should offset any losses. FYI I asked Berger if these new hybrids are any good for hunting and they told me they had not tested them.

I would like to hear from anyone that has used a hybrid for hunting. I am sure others here would also like to know.

I've only shot one ladder test with the 230gr OTM bullets .010" jammed into the lands.

The accuracy is good, but they do not fit in the magazine of my first generation Sendero 300WM.

Once I'm satisfied with a good load, I'll decide whether to consider developing a load that'll fit; a magazine mod; or just single feed.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.