New 1000 yard F-class Record?

Ray

SPONSOR
Well here he goes again. Charles Ballard competing in the NSSC Long Range Championship on 06/07/2008 has quite possibly set the new 1000 yard 20 shot F-Class Open record with a 200-13X. This record was set in an amazing 103F temperature, really not a normal temperature in June for NC. Just 2 weeks ago he became the new North Carolina F-Class champion. Yes his rifle shoots well however, Charles as a shooter has the burning desire to do well and be the best. Also, He is willing to put forth the time & effort to do it. All of us that shoot with him recognize this. Congratulations Charles!

Congrats to the shooter that is an amazing score at 1K.

In fact that beats my 600 yard personal best. What was he shooting? I know some hate equipment lists for f-class, but I am always interested.

Since I have never participated in any of these events, please explain to me the scoring methodology so I can fully appreciate this accomplishment.

I am completely amazed at the accuracy those of you who shoot targets at these distances achieve.

thanks.

In short, the f-class target is based on 1/2 moa increments. At 1K the x-ring measures 1/2 MOa and counts 10 points, the 10 ring measures 1 MOA or about 10 inches and also counts as 10 points. The sucessifly larger circles count as 9 8 and 7 points out to 5 points. The shooter shot 13 out of 20 shots into a 5 inch circle and the remaining 7 shots were outside the 5 inch x ring but hit inside the 10 inch ten ring. He didnt lose any points as none fell into the 9 8 or 7 point rings on the target.

Congrats to the shooter that is an amazing score at 1K.

In fact that beats my 600 yard personal best. What was he shooting? I know some hate equipment lists for f-class, but I am always interested.
I don't mind sharing my equipment info at all. I was shooting a .284 win built by Precision Rifle & Tool, LLC. BAT MB 1.55 round action left bolt right port, jewel trigger, the finest barrel there is, Broughton 5C 1.250 straight 32 inches long. It is stocked in Precision Rifle & Tool's F-Class with full adjustment.

Thanks. If you ask for an equipment list on some sites you will get a sermon that its the shooter not the equipment. And while I know that it takes more than great equipment I also know that it is hard to be competitive with sub par stuff. Once again great shooting. I do nto get to shoot 1K f-class often, but shoot a good bit of 600yard. My personal best in a match is 200-12x at 600.....so your score at 1K impresses the heck out of me.

A 5" group with that many shots at 1000yds is impressive shot with any gun from the ground , hell that impresses me if it were a 30lb bench gun.

I like that the smaller sub magnum has done this , just goes to show that you don't need to be burning 90grs of powder to shoot long range.

Charles, first off congrats on your record.

I am new to F-Class myself, I was wondering what your shooting style is. Are you a fast shooter chasing the spotter or do you carefully survey the conditions and read the mirage and flags? Hopefully that's not a funny question.

I have been intrueged by the .284 Win. for a while. Are you necking up Lapua brass from 6.5x284 or sorting through winchester brass?

I shoot fast but don't chase the spotter. I will make my wind call while the target is in the pits, if my previous shot goes were I though it would I shoot my next shot as soon as the target stops. If I have switching conditions I will slow down and read flags,the best I can, but I predominantly shoot with mirage. As for the brass I am using 6.5 Lapua necked up. This is only because Winchester brass has a .496 case head and most dies and reamers have a .500 head.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.