Nevada unit 111 2013 Bull Elk tag (archery)

dbaileyg

Over the past year I have been working on my first long range rifle build so I have been lurking in the background here gathering as much info as I could however when the draw results came out I ended up with a Nevada archery tag.

I am reaching out to the group in hopes that in the wealth of knowledge that exists on this forum there may be a few individuals out there that know something about this unit and the tendencies of the elk there in late Aug and early Sep. (season = Aug 25 - Sep 16). I don't expect anyone to give up their honey hole but elevations and/or basins or mountain ranges would be very helpfull because I will only be up a few days early to scout so I am relying heavily on the E-scouting I can do from home.

I plan to to hunt the first 9 days of the season, (probably on water or spot and stalk) go back to work for a week, and return for the final 10 days of the season if needed. (probably calling during the second half assuming the rut may be kicking in)

Any advice and direction would be greatly appreciated. I will be taking truck with ATV in the back but no horses although I am prepared to backpack in well past the point of vehicle access.

Thanks,

Bailey

I am familiar with the area you drew. I have an antelope tag for 111-114. The elk are definitely in the high country this time of year mainly due to the heat in the lower elevations. Take Cleve Creek in the Schell Creek Range for example. Drive to the end of the road and then it's get out and hike to the higher elevations. As many times as i've hunted this area, I've never seen elk in Spring Valley in August. Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks chas3stix for the information. I definitely plan on looking in the higher elevations. The area surrounding Cleve Creek Baldy was where I thought I would start but I had initially thought of accessing it from the West side of the range so I could move north or south depending on what we were seeing. You've got me thinking though that accessing the east side via Cleve Creek may have less pressure from other hunters. Would you strongly recommend one of these options vs. the other? Good luck on your Speed Goat hunt!

Bailey

I've never hunted the west side of the Schell Creek Range. The Kalamazoo Creek road goes all the way over the top and takes you to the west side of the range. Just another option for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.