Nevada Antelope Area 031

Lapua Ray

My wife was lucky enough to draw an 031 Antelope tag in Nevada. I went to scout a few weeks ago and all of the animals I saw were on private property. I'm an experienced hunter, but this has me concerned. Has anyone ever hunted this area and can shed some light?! If you have any pointers/information/good spots to check out and would like to share them, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Why not get in contact with property owners where you've seen animals and see if you can gain access even if it might require paying a fee? If that isn't possible and you cant find any shooters on public land, then you are screwed!

I'm tryin to remember where 31 is. I think 33 is the Sheldon, and 32, 34, and 35 are together. We hunted those units quite awhile back.

Where are you from? If you're used to Wyoming it's not going to look like that.

First locate all the water holes, springs, guzzlers, cattle tanks that you have access to. I'll break out my maps if I get a chance. It's been a decade since I was in that area.

HARPERC - We'll be hunting near Orvada, up towards the Oregon border. I live in California (I wish I lived in Wyoming!). If you have time to break out your old maps and can remember anything from that area, I would appreciate it!

I still need to break out my boundaries map. If you haven't got one, a good map is the place to start. The Delorme's show ownership which will give you a leg to stand on knowing where you are. A good second leg is a GPS with a state specific chip. I think one of the sponsors on this site has them. We hunted up to the edges of your unit I think.

Permission to hunt is a good idea. Just keep in mind the property may be leased, or the landowner has sold his tags. Some just want them gone. A no now, may be a yes after someone else's tag is filled. Some may have hunters coming in, their tag is good for the entire unit, and their sense of what is public, and what is private can get a little inflated.

If you use Google satellite you will see islands of green those will be private, the circular ones have an irrigation pivot. Food and H20, but those same antelope may leave the property to bed down. A vantage point, pre season glassing, and an LR rifle, can be a good substitute for permission to hunt. Some will follow the green line up, just like some of the mule deer do. Don't be afraid to go high, I've seen antelope in the 9000-10,000 elevation.

If your tag is the end of August first week of September, they will be scattered a bit early on. Look for pre-rut activity you will see little trails with travel sign, and small scrapes. If you don't see this you may need to move. They will get ruttier each day into September. Just like deer the little bucks first. You'll see them starting to herd does, just like with deer the larger bucks tend to not waste their energy until a bit later. A bucks sense of what's his territory can be his downfall.

Nevada antelope seem more skittish than any place I've seen. Even areas with a lot of tags and hunted hard . Good camouflage (**** auto-correct) including hands and face so you don't bump them until you're ready. Some will avoid the heat by brushing up, even timber may hold one. They may not be in the wide open just because they're antelope.

Mirage gets bad early, be in position by first light to get the most from your glass.

You should look at loads that are less temp. sensitive. Something to keep the rifle and ammo out the direct sunshine also helps. Equipment left in the direct sunshine will get to hot to handle. Absolutely shoot your rifle when you get there, maybe in the morning, and again mid day.

Don't drag it by the horns, and have a small tarp to drag it on. I've seen the entire downside hair gone in a hundred yards. Have a plan for the cape and meat before it hits the ground.

I've watched antelope jog a couple of miles for water, every seep holds possibilities.

Do not go anywhere without water, we've had to help a fellow that didn't plan on being away from his very long. Have all your supplies bought to the smallest, the stores are small and undersupplied. We overlapped with the "Burning Man" one year and they absolutely, and literally emptied the shelves.

All that said it's a fun interesting hunt, the thing that really sucks is not being able to apply again for 5 years. If I remember something more unit specific I'll let you know. Good luck.

HARPERC - I really appreciate all of your advice and will be sure to take it into account! Thanks for taking the time to respond with such detail. I'll let you know how the hunt turns out!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.