Nesika's for hunting (worried about dust)?

Beowolf

Nesika\'s for hunting (worried about dust)?

I'm trying to decide on a Rem700 type action for my "have my cake and eat it too" rifle. It's going to be my all around rifle, and split its time about 70/30 at the range/hunting. I'm kind of leaning towards the Nesika round action, as it and the Lawton are pretty much the only two that meet my specs (300WM, repeater, left port left bolt). I know it will be accurate enough, but I'm worried about taking it hunting because I live in a dusty/sandy environment.

I called up Nesika to ask them about this and they said that all their actions are held to the same tight tolerances (Hunting and Tactical models included). Basically their hunting and tactical actions have the same tolerances as their BR ones. They also have the Borden bumps so that supposedly they can get dirty and still function properly. They said they take their actions out hunting and have "never had a gun not fire". This wording makes me kind of nervous, but still. Is this just a sales pitch or should I really be OK taking this action hunting? I'm pretty good with keeping my weapon off the deck, but there is always going to be some unavoidable contamination.

Re: Nesika\'s for hunting (worried about dust)?

[ QUOTE ]
Typically "tactical" actions are made keeping in mind the conditions used...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what threw me for a loop. I thought that the tactical and hunting actions would be made to looser tolerances. I couldn't figure out if Nesika was that confident in the Borden bumps or if they were making a faux "tactical" action for people who just want to look hardcore at the range.

Also, about the Stillers, neither their tactical nor hunting actions come in left bolt left port.

[ QUOTE ]
Some others that may interest you are Bordens Alpine-Timberline (SA-LA).Both are available in R-L bolt and port configurations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres a 20 week wait for them right now. If you want one you will need to put your name on the list. The waits not that bad just make sure you order you McMillan stock at the same time they always behind.

d-a

Beowolf,
I have 338Kahn that Fiftydriver (Kirby) built for me on a Nesika action. I have only hunted with it one year, but have not had any problems. I spent a week in southern NM with it on a elk hunt, that is a pretty dusty sandy area.

I do not wipe the bolt or action down during the course of a hunt unless I notice dust/sand on the action or get wet. I've been happy with the Nesika so far. I don't have any comment on the other custom actions mentioned, as the Nesika is the only one I have experience with.

hi

i have 2 x nesika's and have never had any problems with them. the same goes for my 2 m8's that have 2 x nesika's as well.

Colin

I would bear in mind that they may be wording things a bit differently that you do...

Them saying that they build all their actions on the same tolerance level does NOT neccessarily mean what you interpret it to mean.

If the bolt body fits too closely in the reciever, then a bit of dirt, sand, etc. can cause galling and stuck bolts. To avoid this, makers of tactical and hunting actions leave the bolt body fitting a little looser. Some have labeled this "looser tolerances" but that's not entirely correct.

Tolerance is, most correctly, the acceptable difference between what the design spec calls for vs. what the machining produces. If the design spec calls for a looser fitting bolt, and they build all their rifles to within the same tolerances, then you will have a very exactly looser fitting bolt.

I would suggest, on the other hand that you perhapse look into getting a genuine Borden action, either a rimrock, or one of the hunting versions. The only reason I suggest that is Mr. Borden has a patent on his invention, the "borden bumps" and according to him, he never authorized Nesika or any other maker to incorporate that invention into their design. I find doing so anyway to be a distasteful and dishonest thing to do, and personally would not patronize a company that behaved in that fasion.

Also, run a search on Nesika. More recently, since they and Dakota went belly up, things have not been going so well for people who order their actions. At least one VERY long post of a true nightmare, and several smaller anecdotes are running sround about this...

Several of us have the Nesika M actions on true long range hunting rifles. These rifles get hunted hard in rain and snow. They function just fine and shoot really great.

The Nesika website will show you some of the actions they have in stock.

I would go Nesika again and would not even consider a different action. Of course I am not any great benchrest shooter. I just go hunting. Sometimes I kill something and sometimes I don't. I went hunting today and I will go again tomorrow. Wouldn't want my bullets to get old an lonely just sitting on the shelf.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.