Neil Jones neck/shoulder bushing die query

G

Can someone advise me what advantage this style of die has over the normal neck bushing only type?
The custom Jones die includes the shoulder as well.

You answered your own question. The button which includes the shoulder fits your cases perfectly and if you want a "bump", it will set your shoulder back uniformly.
db

None. Most of the bump dies (all) will push the shoulder back if the die is cut using the finish reamer that cuts your chamber. The one thing I do not like about Jones die is the brass colored set screw that don't seem to last vary long. If you buy his dies I suggest you get extra set screws when you buy his dies. And seeing as how you live a world away I would get at least six of them. I would go with someone else and get the body die with neck bushings cut with a resize reamer made by the same guy that made the finish reamer. Or You might want to try this. 6BR.com Have this fellow Jim make you a die. Just my two cents, I know there will be lots of other opinions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Jim's custom dies

I cann't answer as to the brass screw on Neil's dies as I've never had a problem and use his dies from 17machIV to 30-378wby. JLC, I've never used Jim to do any die work but hear he is pretty good I've talked to him and may send him some existing dies (redding)to rework over. It's hard to get a die cut from the same reamer to work for resizing it needs to be smaller so the cost of a reamer and dies is pretty steep, I've got one cut from the chamber reamer but it's kind of like a shoulder bumping die. The nice thing about Neil's die they are either threaded or arbor type. JLC are normally threaded. Another good option if using an arbor press is a set of Wilson dies then get a Redding body die for sizing when need and that will keep the cost down to $100 plus or minus. Hornady makes dies don't know too much about them I've had Redding make some up but whoever you use need to send them a fired case. Well good luck.

Morning. I saw an insert about the Neil Jones locking set screw stripping the threads. Fix this problem by going to an insert fastner store and buy the set screws. I use set screws on the bottom fore plate on my Ruger M77V's. A person can get the correct psi on the front and rear set screws. country boy loves the M77V's. I use set screw type fastners on all of my Remington mounting screws. country boys love grits.

I see a combined neck/shoulder bushing as holding disadvantage to separate bushing partial NS & separate bumping & separate mandrel neck expansion.
With these, I control each independent of the rest.

I'm happy with JLC bushing bump dies.

I have had Neil Jones dies for years and never had a problem with the set screws. His guarantee and service is second to none also.

I sent one die back to have him tweak it a little and done with no problem and no cost.

IMO the whole ridge on the case neck and partial NS/FL size mantra is only a treatment for sloppy die/chamber match to begin with unless you are fireforming brass and need it to hold the brass in place. As the Neil Jones die matches your chamber requirements a ridge on the neck is a solution to a non-existent problem.

As some pointed out, most top end gunsmiths will have a resize reamer to offer a custom FL die and that is a good option. However, If you have a chamber for which that is not available, then the Neil Jones is a great proven alternative. JLC dies are also good IF redding makes a body die for him to hone and convert.

Neil offers the rolls royce of dies and you will pay for them.

Another alternative is the Harrels dies. they make chamber matching dies off fired brass, but not for all calibers and very cost effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.