NEED Your opinions

TireurDelite

Hello everyone,

I have done a lot of research but the more I read it seems the more complicated things get.
I am looking for a 1000 meters rifle and realize that there's many out there that will fill the bill but I am only 5'4" and weight 155lbs. This might limits my options somewhat. On top of that I have to think about throat erosion and such... basically barrel's life.
Based on your experiences can you give my your opinions on which cartrige will best fit my need. By the way I prefer to roll my own than shoot factory ammos.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Are you going to shoot 1000y BR, hunt varmints, big game, or just shoot targets?
How many rounds a year do you plan to shoot?
What sort of budget do you have?
Factory or Custom?
The 6.5-284 comes to mind immediately, but may not serve you the best, depending on your planned uses...

TireurDelite (Sniper I believe)

6.5 x 284 comes to mind.

Chris... seems we post simultaneously and think alike.

[ 02-09-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

You're gonna have to type faster then that, Dave....
grin.gif

I don't own one yet but a lot of people have sung the praises of the .280 Ackley Improved to me lately.

The case is formed by shooting .280 Remingtons in the improved chamber.

The recoil is less than the 7mm mag but gives similar ballistics.

Accurate when chambered correctly with enough punch to kill deer quickly at 1000 yds.

When I build my first custom rifle this is what its going to shoot.

OR

.308 winchester in a remington varmint weight or savage in varmint weight.

Buy the best optics you can reasonably afford.

Chris and Dave,

The 6.5-284 fascinate me but it's a wildcat and as far as I know there's no manufacturer chambering this cartrige. On top of that I read that barrel life on this one is a short one. I plan to shoot about 50-75 rounds a month, once I get an accurage load with a respectable muzzle velocity. Budget for the rifle only is around $700(+/-50).

The 308 is more and more appealing everyday but I am still hoping Savage will chamber their 12bvss in 7mmSAUM. If not the choice will come down to a 300WSM and 308Win.
Anyhow what do you guys think of the 7mmSAUM?
Maybe I am trying to get too much gun???

By the way I currently have a Sendero in 25-06 but haven't shot it off late.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.