Need your advice for young hunter/shooter

carpetman2

I am going to set my 14 yr old daughter up with a semi-long range rifle. I am trying to determine weight & caliber that would best fit both long range shooting and hunting scenerios. I am thinking of the 260 Rem, the 270 win, or the 6.5x284 Norma. I would like to keep the weight at 8lbs or slightly less minus the glass. She is quite a shot and loves to shoot. Last evening she drilled a bedded whitetail buck with my 7mm08 at 233 yards in the brisket (a 9") target right at last light. So, she has great fundamentals including a trigger finger and patience. This was her 5th deer, each getting farther out and growing in confidence. So what do you think?

I will throw my .02 cents in. .270 or 6.5x284 would work great. Several guys here have used the 6.5 on deer and elk at some pretty amazing distance.

First off congrats to your daughter on her deer and to you as well for getting her out there. I love hunting and shooting with my children it's very rewarding for sure. I think the 260 rem or the 6.5-284 would be ideal for her. You'll probably get a lot of opinions on this but those would be my choices.

Nathan

Just this week I've been thinking of my oldest daughter who wants to hunt. The 6.5-284 is the smallest caliber I've ever owned. I have highly recommended the 260 Rem to a buddy for his daughters. My all time #1 recommendation for all women and kids has been the 270. Put a Pachmyer decelerator pad on it and stuff the AB 110 or Barnes 110 bullet in there and watch what happens. When I built a 270 for my friend in CO with his wife and kids in mind, it was a 270. Their ONLY load has been the 130 Barnes TSX and H4831SC and to date, since 2007 when I left it there, they have killed a bunch of mule deer. His youngest at the time was 11 and she has killed several deer in several states like her sister and mom.

AND, the mom JUST KILLED A RAM IN COLORADO with it!!!

So, in short, flip a coin. If my daughter chooses to deer hunt this year in KY, she'll use either my 270 with 110 TTSX loads or the 6.5x284 with either Berger 140 VLDs or I'll stuff some Nosler 130 ABs that I have on hand in it.

My daughter brought up the same subject, after my intitial excitement I thought about it for a min and thought well $&*% she's already shooting a 7mm-08, that'll do 1k and change on gongs, just need to upgrade her stock, scope and lastly the barrel when she wears it out.

Thanks, I never really considered turning my 7mm08 into a long range deer gun for her. New barrel and stock and we're ready to go...already have the glass. I still might do something with a 6.5x284 for myself, but maybe not. It's only $$$$:)

Hate to admit it, but it's true.......I flinch, and have to actually talk myselt out of flinching each and every shot, especially if there's fur in the scope! Even if not a flinch, an anxiety sort of thing just before the shot breaks............It sucks! Worse than sucks, but stronger words are probably not permitted here!

Never used to be that way untill I got scoped a couple times by shooting light weight magnums with the same technique that I used to shoot benchrest........basically free recoil and light hold on the gun.

I've never been the same since, and I am now 5'11" and 260 lbs. Still bleed the same as everyone else though, and can't see crud through the scope when it's covered with blood!

Ok, OK, OK.......enough with all that "my name is Shane and I flinch" BS.

Seriously, I can shoot my 11 lb - 6.5-284 all day and not feel like I need a heavier gun or a muzzle break. That's 15 ft-lbs free recoil energy according to Sierra's recoil calculator. I still shoot mostly free recoil, and it kicks enough that I usually can't spot my own shots, but it doesn't aggravate my condition!!
Ballistically it's good on deer to 900 yds and elk to 600/700 at higher altitudes with proper broadside shot placement.

My Dads' old 270 featherweight is basically the same thing when it comes to ballistics, but it's got a steel buttplate and maybe only weighs 8# with scope. I can say for fact, it just plain hurts. 3 shots in a row and I am done! Throw the **** thing in the dirt and drive over it!

Point being, good recoil pads and some weight and decent stock designs help alot. I watched a couple of young boys shoot a heavy 260 really really well just last month. They were banging steel dead center over and over again out to 700 yds with help from spotters calling wind.

My kids are all grown, but I've got some grandsons coming of shooting age here in a few years.
If I were going to buy a LR big game rifle for my daughter or a grandson, it would be 243, 260, 6.5-284, maybe 270 or 7mm-08 if they appeared recoil insensive, and ensure it's heavy enough to absorb some shock, light enough they dont feel encumbered by carrying it and put a decent pachmayer or limbsaver pad on it.

Take my word if you will; a flinch is a terrible thing to have. I wouldn't wish it on any shooter, especially my kin.

Sorry to Ramble, just wanted to get that out. There's nothing better than getting kids involved with LR hunting and shooting. We as mentors gotta remember not to scare them away from it at the same time. We can all probably remember being young, especially teen years; just because it hurt didn't mean we said anything, but that pain can stick and cause issues for years down the road.

Best of Luck to you and your daughter.

Thanks SBruce, good advice. I will be very consciouse of the recoil. I am still weighing all the options. :)

You're welcome.

Best of luck to you and the daughter, I think it's great she's interested in hunting. I wish we could get more ladies interested in not only hunting, but shooting in general. The antigunners would have alot harder time getting anything done with alot of women on "our" side.

If you think the 270 or 6.5-284 will work for her, I'd be concerned about an 8lb rifle kicking too hard. Probably better off with a 260 or light loads in 7-08 with a light rifle. IMO.

I friend of mine is also a fairly big guy, about 6' tall and 260 lbs. He shoots with a Past recoil pad between his shoulder and the gun when he shoots his 8# 280 for practice, he says it isn't any fun without it. Something about those light rifles in long action calibers that seem to punch pretty good sometimes.

Take Care,

I am going to set my 14 yr old daughter up with a semi-long range rifle. I am trying to determine weight & caliber that would best fit both long range shooting and hunting scenerios. I am thinking of the 260 Rem, the 270 win, or the 6.5x284 Norma. I would like to keep the weight at 8lbs or slightly less minus the glass. She is quite a shot and loves to shoot. Last evening she drilled a bedded whitetail buck with my 7mm08 at 233 yards in the brisket (a 9") target right at last light. So, she has great fundamentals including a trigger finger and patience. This was her 5th deer, each getting farther out and growing in confidence. So what do you think?

Why don't you put together a list of rifles that she can tolerate the recoil with that would do what she needs and let her research them and make the decision. If she has taken five bucks she seems to be interested enough to enjoy making the decision.

I just weighed my 7mm08, it weighs in @ 9.4 lbs with a VX3 4.5x14x50 which is about 1.3 lbs I believe. She shoots that very comfortably. So an 8.5 lb gun w/o optics should be ok with a good recoil pad and the 270 seems to be at the upper edge for recoil from what I can figure. I am leaning toward another 7mm08 that would be more accurate than my little vanguard, maybe a new S2 vanguard or a savage, or rebarrel my little vanguard. The 270 seems a nice fit ballistically, but bullet selection is a little more limited.

As for her helping with the selection, she just wants me to choose for her. She is really easy to work with on this and yes, she really likes to shoot and to hunt as have all four of my daughters, all very accomplished hunters. But she is definately the best shot in the family at her age. We did a family top shot comp this summer with a bunch of friends and all 6 of my kids. She won nearly all the stages. She's just a natural.

i am 14, 5'6" 110lbs and i shoot a 7mm rem mag thats 13lbs but has a break on it and i can shoot it all day. i would suggest a 270 with a good recoil pad and the new 150gr nosler accubond long range bullets there coming out with or the 6.5x284

i am 14, 5'6" 110lbs and i shoot a 7mm rem mag thats 13lbs but has a break on it and i can shoot it all day. i would suggest a 270 with a good recoil pad and the new 150gr nosler accubond long range bullets there coming out with or the 6.5x284

A modernly braked 11lb 7mag or 300 mag feels about like a 260. There is no way in hell I'd want to shoot an unbraked magnum often enough to be good with it. The biggest downside to brakes is the noise. Dont get me wrong, I love shooting braked guns with ear plugs in, but hate hunting with earplugs in! It's important to be able to hear rattlesnakes, or brush movement, or deer running, or coyotes howling or even shots off in the distance. I have yet to find a type of hearing protection that is comfortable for wearing all day while walking but still allow good hearing when not shooting.........I've spent in the neighborhood of about $2000 in my attempts and have failed to find something satisfactory for my style of hunting. Now if someone would come out with a form fitting super comfortable ear plug that has Walkers Game Ear high def digital technology enclosed inside and didn't cost $1000 or more, I'd have a break on every gun I own that's bigger than 243.

Some people are oblivious to recoil and it simply doesn't bother them, but most people will find it tiring at best and painful or even ruining at worst. Especially when practicing for LR hunting, shooting competition, or doing load testing and development.

There is a noticable difference in recoil (not alot but noticable) between a 260 and a 270 IMO, assuming all else is equal. The 270 or 6.5-284 are pushing the same weight bullet about 200'/sec faster than the 260 and using more powder to do it. The amount of powder used, the speed of the bullet, the weight of the bullet and weight of the rifle are all necessary variables when calculating recoil energy, recoil momemtum and recoil velocity.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.