Need some suggestions on a tactical 308

ZIMM

Would like to purchase a tactical 308, would be using it for shots 600-1000+. So far I've looked at the Tikka T3 Tactical, Remington 700 LTR 308. Would anyone recommend any others. Or should I just forget the 308 and go for the 338 RUM?

I would scrap the LTR for 1000 yards. Barrels are too short to get any decent 1K velocity. The 308 needs more help than 20". The 308 in general is a good 1000 yard performer though. If you need more energy then go with the 300 RUM or 338 RUM, 338 Lapua etc...Otherwise, the 308 will fit the need of paper punching just fine.

What are you planning to do with it? Punch paper or live targets? If live, what kind? That will most likely be your determining factor as has been stated.

I'm interested in the 338 Lupau or 338 RUM but I'm not a reloader yet so that is why the 308 was appealing to me. This gun would be primary used for north american game (mostly whitetail), I do have a 378 weatherby at my disposal, but again, 90.00+box gets pretty expensive. Considering I dont reload I wanted something cheaper, but long range ability. I'm in the process of learning how to reload but in the early stages. 308, 300, 338?

[ QUOTE ]
I would scrap the LTR for 1000 yards. Barrels are too short to get any decent 1K velocity. The 308 needs more help than 20". The 308 in general is a good 1000 yard performer though. If you need more energy then go with the 300 RUM or 338 RUM, 338 Lapua etc...Otherwise, the 308 will fit the need of paper punching just fine.

What are you planning to do with it? Punch paper or live targets? If live, what kind? That will most likely be your determining factor as has been stated.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
that is why the 308 was appealing to me. This gun would be primary used for north american game (mostly whitetail), I do have a 378 weatherby at my disposal, but again, 90.00+box gets pretty expensive. Considering I dont reload I wanted something cheaper, but long range ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, the 308 gets my vote!

It is a good caliber to learn how to reload on and to learn the principals of LR shooting. It is also alot more cost effective than others. Even at 20-25 bucks a box for federal gold medal match, it is still fairly cost effective.
My only recomendation is a 24" minimum barrel for the 308 if you intend on shooting 1000 yards. 26" is better. Dont overlook the 700 PSS or some of the savages in 10FP.

Good luck!

Powder equals about 72 rounds per lb,bullets 100 per box,primers $2.00 per 100.therefore if powder is $25,bullets $25 it would cost $25 plus 72%of $25=$17 plus $1.44 for 72 primers equals $43.44 to reload using your own brass.Now price out four boxes of factory,it will cost you about $50 dollars to reload them :

Not saying that a 308 wont work on deer at 1k, but I kinda lean towards more horse power. I dont like limiting my shooting distance on power but by my skill and abilities. In other words I like lots of horsies when I send one down range. 300win with black hills in a 700pss would be my choice. Use jb bore conditioner every 20 or so rounds and it should shoot under an inch and you'll have alot more horsies. Just my opinion though. You'll also have more recoil though in case you're recoil shy and dont like brakes.

This year alone I've taken deer with a 22 .250 just shy at 500 yards (498) and w/ a .378 was around 812. I know if I practiced enought at 1000 I could do it with .378. Again my problem is lacking in the reloading department. Basically I'm looking for a caliber that can reach out to 1000 (preferbly enough energy to take a shoulder out) and thats not going to kill the wallet.

[ QUOTE ]
Not saying that a 308 wont work on deer at 1k, but I kinda lean towards more horse power. I dont like limiting my shooting distance on power but by my skill and abilities. In other words I like lots of horsies when I send one down range. 300win with black hills in a 700pss would be my choice. Use jb bore conditioner every 20 or so rounds and it should shoot under an inch and you'll have alot more horsies. Just my opinion though. You'll also have more recoil though in case you're recoil shy and dont like brakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.