Need some ring help?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by slickyboyboo, Dec 3, 2012.

1. slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo Well-Known Member

I am planning to mount a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 LR on a Rem 700 action, with a #3 contour barrel. I have a Leupold DD 2 piece base, but can't decide which height rings to get, as to fit it as snug as possible.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what height 30 mm rings will work best?

2. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

I have Warne low rings on my PST, and it's got as 50mm Objective. They are great rings

3. jlamb

jlamb Well-Known Member

Buy Leupold PRW or QRW, mediums. Don't buy into all the tactical crap. They "grip" more of your tube than tactical or conventional rings that just "sandwich" the tube. I have many 30mm's with 50mm objectives and have not run into an issue.

4. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

Check your bases. Both of the Leupold DD base sets I own are horribly machined off center. On both the front ring is set left and the rear ring to the right. Using a caliper I finally figured this out after pulling my hair out wondering if the barrel was crooked.

The only way to correct it was with Burris Signature rings and their offsets - and I used medium size with the same scope you're using.