need some input

moose

I am buying a Tikka short mag .270 and am looking at scopes.Bushnell elite 6500 or maybe the tactical 6500.
Any suggestions or maybe another scope?
I hunt northern canada and would like to get into LR
thanks

I love my Leupold VXL on my 270 with the Varmint hunter reticule.
I have 5 with the tall target torrents. You can get a custom dial from Leupold for 63 bucks. You can't beat that anywhere. I think the Leupolds are the best scope for the money.

If you've got one rifle and you want one great scope, go Nightforce, I've got two of those. But they cost about twice what the Leupolds do and weight twice as much. I've got them on my serious long range guns. I've got the Leupolds on my hunting rifles, but I've got 3 that shoot .5 MOA at 800 when the winds not blowing.

I've got a couple of bushnels and weavers, but they are old.
I've looked at the elite, it's a good scope.

Good luck,
Robbin

Ive got Burris FF2 4.5X14X42 P/A with the BPLEX reticle on my 270wsm, that is amazingly accurate with 140 Accubonds out to 600yds. Im planning on buying another one in the Tacticle model (same scope, crosshairs, etc. but has tall Tac. turrits) for my 300 wby untill I can afford a Leupold Mark 4. At wich time the Burris will be put on my 338 win mag. I have a Nikon 4.5x14 S/F with BDC That Ill probably put on my 30-06.

I like compensating reticles on my hunting rifles, but the tac knobs on the burris will help dialing in the wind. Its kinda the perfect step between the compensating reticle and the standard on the Leupold, Where I have to dial both. On my dedicated L/R rifle (300wby) I want to dial both. But the burris will break me in 1 turrit at a time till I get to that point.
Tikamike shoots a Zeiss with a Rapid-Z 800 with his shortmag, and loves it.

It all depends how far you want to shoot, and what kind of hunting/shooting style you have as to wich style (drop comp, or dial up). IMO drop comp is easiest to 600 yds. for hunting purposes. Anything farther Id dial it.

Hows that for muddying the water...........sorry. There's lots of great choices.

I agree with WinMag that BDC reticles can be great for hunting purposes to reasonable ranges. I'v had a Burris Sig. Select 3x12x44 for several years on
a 7 RUM and it has worked fine for kill zone accuracy. My load works out in this
scope to give range starting @ 300 going out to 700 all with +/- 2" of the hold over marks. I consider that fine for hunting purposes. What ever system you
use - you need to practice until it becomes natural. When you've got the confidence amazing things can happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.