need some help please

dads300winmag

Hello to all,I have been looking around and i must say this site is verry informative love it!!!.Any way I just got a rem700 sendero in300winmag love the rifle and was woundering what you all think i should do to turn it into a 600yd deer thumper??.I'm new to the long range game and understand that it's going to take some time befor i can start hunting long range.But any info you could give me would be grate thank you for you time and info:D

Do you reload or shoot factory ammo? As long as it is sporting good glass, that rifle will do 600yds easily.

Yep, the cartridge is already ready for 600 yd game taking.

All that remains is getting the rifle/scope/load prepared and getting yourself up to speed and you're ready to go.

Mess around with JBM ballistics (google) and to get the drops at distance and a possible bullet and load then load 'em up, get a good sub MOA group @ 100 then start extending the range.

Keep us posted on progress and with questions.

Regards

Not sure what the factory weight on the Sendero trigger is, but you may want to have it adjusted to 1.5 to 2 lbs. This will help in achieving better groups. To heavy of a trigger can throw shots. Lighter is better. I know some guys completely replace the factory trigger with an aftermarket to get that accuracy edge. Reloading for your rifle will definitely be a plus. It will gain the most accuracy out of your rifle that you want to achieve. Stick with 175grn and heavier bullets. To go farther than 800yds, look into 190 grain and heavier bullets to really carry the energy out there. I would suggest to look in to HSM and Hornady Superformance ammo. They seem to be the best options. Also Black Hills and Cor Bon. Black Hills and Hornady should be the more affordable, so I would start there. Optics is definitely a smart move if you haven't purchased already.

Tank

Well i thank you all for the help.At this time I can not reload money is just not there so factory ammo is where i have to start.I can give you what i have done so far with the rifle.
it weight is around 11 pounds
trigger is set at 2lbs even
it has a leupold mark4 4.5x14x50 LR/T with m1 dials with a hollond scope level
it is braked

You have a real good start. High preformance ammo is your best chance without reloading your own, Just experiment until you find what your rifle likes.

Here is some ammo to consider:

Hornady SUPERFORMANCE Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 180 Grain SST Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Federal Premium Gold Medal Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 190 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Cor-Bon Performance Match Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 190 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Hornady SUPERFORMANCE Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 165 Grain Gilding Metal Expanding Boat Tail Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 180 Grain Nosler AccuBond Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Barnes VOR-TX Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 180 Grain Tipped Triple-Shock X Bullet Boat Tail Lead-Free Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Hornady Custom Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 150 Grain Super Shock Tip (SST) Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 180 Grain Speer Hot-Cor Soft Point Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 180 Grain Speer Hot-Cor Soft Point Box of 20 - MidwayUSA This would be a good score if you can find it and it works good in your rifle.

Black Hills Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 190 Grain Match Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 165 Grain Trophy Bonded Tip Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Well this gives you a taste as to what is out there. You may get lucky and find your rifle likes to shoot the Remington Core-Lokt at your local Wal-Mart. So start sending rounds down range and see what it likes.

Tank

it weight is around 11 pounds
trigger is set at 2lbs even
it has a leupold mark4 4.5x14x50 LR/T with m1 dials with a hollond scope level
it is braked

Very good start. I'd say you have a life-time rifle there.

I don't understand you $ thinkin' though.

I randomly selected some of the offerings liltank listed. 4 selections came to $151.46 or $1.89 per shot or 189.00 per 100. Ouch!! May as well be shooting a extreme magnum of some sort (Allen Mag or Snipe Tac)

I'd figure that you will be into several hundred dollars in shells by the time you get sighted in, drop chart developed and enough practice to become confident for all your extreme range shots.

Do some shopping around. I've seed RCBS JRs used for $40.00 in pawn shops. They were good ones too. No looseness in the ram. Select a bullet, a powder and primers. Do some "searching" for starting loads, ask questions here, and you'll get a leg up on things.

If your not set up with a reloading room that's OK! The kitchen table will do. I even use a sturdy coffee table.:rolleyes: Wife and I are in a short term apartment for awhile and I get along fine........for the most part.:)

I built this gizmo in 1966. I has served me well since! As long as the wife isn't sewing when I wish to reload or otherwise use my stuff.:)

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.