Need some help from quickload for 460 Weatherby

The REALLY BIG issue with Quickload is what brass you are using and how it fireforms in your particular rifle!

My fired Lapua Brass for .338 Lapua Mag. measures about 116.1 volume for water. But Hornady Brass was only 107!!!!!!
B

I have found Lapua is always in the 115-116 range. PPU is 114 or so, but Hornady is really small, at 107.

Do you realize the difference that can make on predicted and actual pressure and velocity? It is tremendously volatile and variable unless you measure everything you are doing for your own specific case........no pun intended.....

That brass case is the volume in which the explosion takes place, and when you reduce the case size from 116 to 107, the pressure from the explosion doesn't vary just linearly by that 8-10% case volume difference, it varies exponentially in a non-linear fashion, and you could get not 8-10% more pressure, (which may still may blow you up) but say 15-25% which sure as heck will blow you up if you thought you were shooting a load with 55,000 modeled psi, and instead its 69,000 psi or more.

Not only does the brass volume vary all over the map, but I have found that from lot to lot powder can vary in its actual burn rate by 10-20% vs. the advertised burn rates. So, if you couple a small volume case of brass with an out of whack high burn rate lot of
powder, you can lose some fingers........

Brass Volume is absolutely the whole key to using Quick Load intelligently and safely. Just my opinion.... Powder Lot burn rates and temperature will be right in there as second and third issue. Bullet seating depth can also make some difference on the margin, and may be the final last straw if everything else is on the edge. Boom!
it is not just case capacity even know that is the biggest factor. we have no known velocities from a powder workup with a book load to help with calibration or bore cross section or bullet dimensions I have seen some off as much as .070 length that really effects pressure, we don't know the primer used or if its a fast or slow barrel. just changing the powder BA as so many think is the be all end all is not the answer it is the last thing, I do temp before BA.
you really need to calibrate with known data and then start working with the unknowns

Blind faith in manuals is even more dangerous, as you can account for absolutely nothing there.
Hence the golden rule: Always work up

IMO, it's unethical to be begging around support for an innovation like QL, and just as bad to be complicit in that.
Shooting forums need to right side of this, as it hurts the shooting community otherwise.

Could somebody out there with quickload give me the rundown on using RL 16 or possibly CFE223 in a 460 weatherby. RL 16 is in the H4350 burn rate but I was curious if it would be comparable. I have a bunch of it.
My name is Gary, retired USMC, I just reloaded my 460 Weatherby with 500gr Barnes TSX, .

Attachments

• 20210413_195137.jpg
    20210413_195137.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 82

Recent Posts