Need some Bullet Advice for Elk

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by dakor, Sep 21, 2005.

1. dakor

dakor Well-Known Member

I have a 300 win that I am taking on my first Elk hunt this December. It is a late cow Elk hunt. I have never shot an Elk before and need some help with bullet selection. I do not know how close the shots will be but I am prepared to shoot out to 700 yards. I have 3 different loads I am considering. They all shoot around the 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch at 300 yards. The first one is a 180 Accubond traveling out of the muzzle at 3122FPS. The second bullet is the 200 Accubond leaving the muzzle at 2960FPS. The third bullet is a 220 Matchking leaving the muzzle at 2750fps. I am kinda leaning twords the 200 Accubond but then I look at the bc of the big Matchking. Any thoughts?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

einy meany mieny mo... just pick one and go....

they'll all work...

3. lerch

lerch <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Try the 200gr accubond, or possible something in a Hornady Interbond, I heard they held up great on some penetration test.

Good Luck
    Steve

4. älg

älg Well-Known Member

dakor, I have no experience with elk, but I´d go with an accubond... trust the terminal balistics of a proven bullet and I would not risk it with a match bullet.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

again..

ANY OF THEM will do the job wonderfully...

Alg..."not trust a match bullet"..shesh... dude.. think about what forum are you on??? Get with the program...

6. dakor

dakor Well-Known Member

Ric you are not helping any!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I see you live in Cody I will be hunting south of you in unit 61 for my hunt with a friend of mine. Maybe I should stop by a pick up one of the Twins then I would not have to pick between the 3 bullets at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif More suggestions are welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Guest

Guest Guest

61 is a pretty good area...

If I was gonna use the twins for Elk.. 175 SMK is the bullet I choose...

I would honestly take all 3 of the loads you have...

shoot them to 500 yards ... pick the most accurate one load a bunch and go hunting!!!

8. dakor

dakor Well-Known Member

That is good to know about 61 Ric. My dads friend lives in Cody and he is going to give me some areas to try in 61. He has a cow Elk for the unit to and a bull tag for 121. He works on the oil rig so I guess we will see what his schedule is if he can go with us or not. His name is Dennis Bakke I do not know if you know him or not? I guess I should probably take all 3 loads out to 500 yards and see what is what. I have never shot anything other than paper with all 3 bullets. I go deer hunting here before I go out there so maybe I need to do some testing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the info.

9. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

Dakor, Here goes. I think that the 200 Accubond would be my choice. Better ballistics at longer ranges, proven expansion &amp; weight retention. Elk are TOUGH animals. Even a cow can weigh 300-400++ pounds. They are tenacious and die hard. I've had mortally wounded elk with their heart shot out travel 1/2 mile . Slightly wounded elk will go forever. Cows are much easier to hunt than bulls since they live year around in herds. BIggest problem with elk is just locating them since they travel so much. Once found, with proper camouflage and scent control, you should be able to "hunt" them within 200-300 yds easy. Anything longer than that and you aren't trying to sneak in close. If you learn to cow call before you go, you can keep elk from getting too nervous. Odor is critical, so cover scents, etc. are great. Biggest problem with true long range hunting (over 500 yds), is trying to locate where the elk was when you shot. Elk hair tends to absorb blood flow and you want to get an exit wound if possible. Hopefully, you might have snow. If not, tracking elk can be tough. You have plenty of gun, just put a 200 Accubond right behind the front shoulder and hope for a blood trail. I've never had an elk fall over close to the impact area unless hit in the spine, etc. Elk are not like hunting deer. BIG,TOUGH animals. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

I favor the 200 Accubond, as I have experience with it. Other than that, and if you wish to try it, I'd go with a 180 TSX boat tail.

Do you trim the meplats on the MK bullets?

11. Guest

Guest Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    They are tenacious and die hard. I've had mortally wounded elk with their heart shot out travel 1/2 mile . Slightly wounded elk will go forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

An accubond doesn't make this situation any better, nor would the accubond have perfomed better...

ANY of the bullets he has listed will without question kill an Elk.. the accubond doesn't kill quicker than the MK nor does the TSX...

Accuracy kills better than anything...

12. Derek M.

[ QUOTE ]
    Accuracy kills better than anything...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and the same goes for archery, however, in the field it can also be a characteristic we have the least control over. I've seen the damage a matchking will do and it can be devastating. But the other bullets mentioned offer an edge on construction in the event a not so favorable point of impact occurs. Despite our best efforts, the bullet doesn't always hit where the crosshair settles.

In the end, any of the bullets will do, with a well placed shot.

13. Derek M.

[ QUOTE ]
    ... the accubond doesn't kill quicker than the MK nor does the TSX...

[/ QUOTE ]

Arguable.

14. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

let's get the bullet argument going again.as Ric said,the MK works well at long range, but i've seen it fail miserably 2 different times.both were at close range.one exploded on the shoulder blade of a mule deer with only a sliver getting inside and the other puffed on the backbone of a whitetail leaving a tennis ball size hole in the backstrap.this bullet fragmented against the backbone and didn't even break it.pieces of lead and jacket were all around the wound.this left an impression with me and it would for anyone that saw it.both examples were a 270 win.killing animals at long range is one thing,but up close,use a bullet that will work when everything goes wrong.i vote for whichever accubond shoots the best at the longest range you will attempt.