Need some Build Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by slickyboyboo, Apr 28, 2009.

1. slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo Well-Known Member

I just bought a Rem 700 magnum long action. I am not 100% on what caliber I want to build on this yet. I do however know what I would like to get out of the gun. I would like to build a gun that would shoot a bullet of around 140grs at 3500 fps, yet I would like to stay under the .30 caliber range. If at all possible I would like to shoot a 26" barrel, but would be willing to go to a 28".

I think that at 3500 fps, a 140 gr bullet would give me plenty of KE to shoot elk, but also give me a plenty flat trajectory.

I'm looking to build something different, out of the norm.

Any Suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Probably you should look at the 7mmSTW or the 7mm RUM or a wild cat like the 7 mm AM.

They will do what you want with a 26'' or 28'' inch barrel in a 1 in 9 twist.

J E CUSTOM

3. apapro

apapro Active Member

How a bout a 6.5 - 300 win mag???

A few guys up here in Saskatchewan have had a few built and they are dynamite on deer and elk!!

140's around 3250 in a 26" pipe! These numbers are close to what you want and the components are very easy to obtain.

I am looking at building one myself in an M40 configuration.

Hope this helps

later

4. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Out of the ordinary...How about a .284-.338 Lapua imp. Would be along the lines of the 7mm Allen Mag. Best bet would be to have Kirby build it for you. Although, I think he is only using custom actions now, I'm not positive though. Any how, if you go with a 7mm based on the .338 Lapua, it will be a rocket sled that not too many others have.:D

Steve

5. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

One of 308Nate's 300 or 284 JAZZ!!!