Need Scope Advice

KC Huntin

Ok Ive been hunting for quite some time (27yrs+or-) but mostly bow hunting for the last 10.

Bought a Remingon 700 in .300 WSM and want to set it up for semi-long range. Thinking about buying Leupold VX-3 LR 30mm 4.5x14x50 Boone and Crockett reticle and M1 Turrets installed to top it in classifieds here on Long Range Hunting.

My questions are.

1. What is the benefit of having a BDC reticle AND M1 Turrets?
2. How would the M1 Turrets come into play? Would they be dialed in on the main crosshair if you wanted to exceed 500 yds or whatever the Leupold B&C reticle goes to?
3. Is this the right scope for the gun or am I going to cheap.? Budget is $1k or less.

Advice and lessons appreciated.

Due to some bad luckin the past with Luepold I am not a follower of their scopes. I had some VXIII's that left a bad taste in my mouth. For as much as they cost that shouldn't happen.

My recomendation is learn how to use MOA and click to what your shooting. It is much more accurate then a holdover reticle.

For the money Sightron scopes just can't be beat in my opinion. Any long range rifle I have or build will be topped with an SIII Sightron from now on. Glass is beautiful and the tracking is dead nuts on.

Don't hesistate to look at sightron they won't disapoint ya.

KC, I have that same scope with a 40 objective and really like it. The B&C reticle lines up very well with this caliber. I site in at 200 yds with a 300 WM and it's dead on out to 500 yds. I've shot it a lot this way and it works very well. I still just use the capped turrets for long range work but have been thinking about changing the elevation knob to one of the tactical knobs. My rifle is fairly light for packing and I really only like shooting it 700-800 tops and this scope does pretty well at that range. It doesn't always return to zero though and before a hunting trip requires a trip to the range to make sure it is zeroed back at 200. Other than that it does pretty well and I like it.

Having said all of that, I agree with what Judd said. I have a Sightron SIII on a 300 RUM and I think it does everything better than the VX-3. The glass is at least as good and probably a tad better. The accuracy of the turret adjustments are far superior and don't miss a beat. It always returns to zero. Right now, I'm looking at buying more SIII's in the near future but not going to replace the VX-3 as it still does pretty well.

I too would stray away from Leupold right now. I've had dozens and even the mark 4's had trouble. (I still use a few though)
I had a Mark 4 16x go back to the shop twice, first time the crosshairs were lying on the bottom and the second time the whole reticle shifted to about a 1:00 position. Having said that I think you could find a better deal here or swfa/Ebay...

I agree with Judd as for beginners I'd use the moa method and not worry about the hold over, you'll just confuse yourself and it's not worth it. You could do just fine with a target dot or standard duplex. Then you could move on.

I have a older, 02 vr 3,tact. no problems. I was crossing a slide chute, swing from tree branches like Tarzan, and my rifle slipped off, and cart wheeled down a cliff. I did not expect to see glass in my scope, that took 1/2 hr. to recover, was ok held zero.Have a B&C model also, easier for my son to use, I dial off last hash, for 600 + SHOTS

Moman, when you say you have that same scope, is it a new vx-3 LR? and it doesn't always return to zero?

Dave, It's a VX-III model, about two years old. It doesn't always return to zero. It's close but not spot on and usually takes a click or two, or three, one way or the other to get it back to dead zero.

LR Model

Last edited:
KC, I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction with what you want to buy, I'm just giving you some of the comparisons between these two scopes that were mentioned. The Leupold on my 300 is a pretty nice scope and I do like the B&C reticle. I have no plans to change it out. I've just noticed that for me, I think the Sightron is quite a bit more precise in its adjustments.

There are a lot of good scopes out there in your price range so you should have no problem finding the right one for you. Try some searches for scopes and you'll find a lot of posts on all kinds of different brands. Take it all with a grain of salt though, there are lots of strong opinions on what is best. I have talked to one of the members here whose opinion I hold in high regard, and his opinion was that he really likes his Sightrons but likes his Mark 4 even better. So who knows?? Best of luck.

From my experience, Sightron 6.5-20x50 has great-excellent glass, tracking is right on, and I have shot my 308 to 500 yards by dialing, and mine always returns to my 100 yard zero. I have about $700 in that scope, but I think they are a little cheaper now.

I also just bought (and am awaiting) a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 for my LRH 300 WinMag. I am using a 20 moa base (still not sure on rings). I have read many reviews, and my trigger finger is itching to pull the trigger with that glass on it.

So, long story short, I have 3 sightron scopes on a wide variety of calibers. The ONLY reason I went with the Viper PST is that the reticle matches the adjustment and it is FFP. If I find that the PST is EVERYTHING I have ever needed/wanted in a reasonably priced scope (under a grand), I will likely buy the 6-24 PST for my 308 and keep the Sightron for a rifle for my wife.

Other choices I have heard, but have no experience on, I will share. Nikon is supposedly good glass for the price, I just dont own one.

I have OLD leupold scopes, and they are OK, but not my first choice.

mine all track perfectly . i have a kenton knobb. i do not use hold over. so my reticles are either mil dot or target dot. or leup dot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.