Need recomendations for hard gun case

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rick Richard, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Fellow Members,

I have a new custom on its way and need recommendations for a hard case that will be used for airline travel. I have performed a search and found some info, but is some what dated. The two options I am contemplating thus far are a Pelican or Starlight case. If anyine has any experience with either, please provide your opinion. Also, if there is somethoing else to consider please list.

Thanks in advance!

2. Kenny0709

Kenny0709 Well-Known Member

I've used Pelican cases and never had a problem.

3. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the pelican cases. What is your rifles overall length. More than Likely, a pelican 1750 will fit the bill.

4. Aldon

Aldon Well-Known Member

Pelican.

But I have a Boyt that has been as good as Pelican,

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

You might also want to check out Cabela's armor extreme.

6. biggdawg

biggdawg Well-Known Member

I have the pelican storm Im3300 and it fits 2 bolt guns with scopes. and my guns survived a trip to and back from Namibia africa with out a scratch.

7. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

R.R., I had an expensive aluminum case that was beaten to a pulp on a flight from Phx to San Antonio. Got a SKB and they can hardly scratch it. Buy one you like, but aluminum dents easily. Good luck

8. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input.

Yesterday I pulled the pin on a Pelican 1750 from Gander and it showed up today. Now that is super fast shipping.

9. 4b4mac

4b4mac Member

Depends upon how you plan to use it. Will it serve regular transport by vehicle to the range and field - or will it be savaged by ramp rats at airports? If the former, I have a Plano Air Glide in which I take custom, heavy rifle with 28" barrel to the range. This case secures the gun in true vertical mounting with good foam support and velcro tie-downs. Rifle OAL is 481/2". The case is supposed to be 50". The price is right for a medium duty product. If you will subject your case to the vicissitudes of air handlers, don't hesitate to cough up the price for something really tough! Lot's of respondents seem big on Pelican brand. They're good but by no means the end of the market.

10. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

Midway has pelican 1750 for 185.00. I have this model and it fits my 28.5 barrelled savage. It is close but it works.