Need recepie for elk

mike33

I just got back from colorado didnt kill anything but was given a hind quarter for my share. I never cooked elk before but now i have 24 lbs of steak and 27 lbs of burger. I enjoy cooking and would appreciate input on what would be the best way to cook it.
mike

A couple of things about the ground meat which you probably already know. If it is just ground with no fat added then you will need a table spoon or so of cooking oil in the pan when you brown it. I tend to use olive oil but it has a taste that is noticeable unless you are making tacos or chili. Obviously one pound of lean meat is more meat than 80/20 hamburger. If you wish you can mix one pound of ground elk with one pound of 80/20 hamburger to get about 90/10 hamburger and sometimes I do that. Aside from Tacos, chili and so forth I will make meatloaf. Once again, add regular corn oil as the olive oil gives it a weird flavor. Add enough eggs and oil to glue it together so it doesn't crumble apart when cooked.

Elk steaks are much like venison and should only be cooked enough to kill bugs and such. It will be tough if cooked well done. For stir fry just slice it up thin and brown it in oil and add vegetables and a half bottle of stir fry sauce. For beef stew cube it up and throw it in the slow cooker with a tablespoon or so of oil, two large potatoes cubed, a large onion cubed, a package of baby carrots cut up, a can of diced tomatoes and a package of Lipton's onion soup. Add salt and pepper to the extent that your blood pressure will allow. Near the end throw in some additional vegetables that you like

A couple of things about the ground meat which you probably already know. If it is just ground with no fat added then you will need a table spoon or so of cooking oil in the pan when you brown it. I tend to use olive oil but it has a taste that is noticeable unless you are making tacos or chili. Obviously one pound of lean meat is more meat than 80/20 hamburger. If you wish you can mix one pound of ground elk with one pound of 80/20 hamburger to get about 90/10 hamburger and sometimes I do that. Aside from Tacos, chili and so forth I will make meatloaf. Once again, add regular corn oil as the olive oil gives it a weird flavor. Add enough eggs and oil to glue it together so it doesn't crumble apart when cooked.

Elk steaks are much like venison and should only be cooked enough to kill bugs and such. It will be tough if cooked well done. For stir fry just slice it up thin and brown it in oil and add vegetables and a half bottle of stir fry sauce. For beef stew cube it up and throw it in the slow cooker with a tablespoon or so of oil, two large potatoes cubed, a large onion cubed, a package of baby carrots cut up, a can of diced tomatoes and a package of Lipton's onion soup. Add salt and pepper to the extent that your blood pressure will allow. Near the end throw in some additional vegetables that you like
MMM MMM, that'll make your tongue slap your brain loose:D

BIGBUCK

My kids like "elk helper", tacos, fajitas, burritos, elk loaf, and such with all the ground.

For the steaks and roast, just season or marinade them as normal and cook as rare as you can stand.

M33 find a pepper steak recipe and use elk instead of beef then place in crock pot and let simmer for a couple of hours, works really well...

Theres some great recipits on here, but I gotta say, my favorite way to eat elk is alot less complicated.
build a fire
put meat on a stick, and turn slowly
salt and butter for extra flavor
Helps add authenticity to step out of your wall tent, into 8-10'' of snow, and freeze your hind end off while cooking it.(dont know how well it works in the back yard)

All this aside, thanks to all that shared a recipit. I enjoy this thread, and have written many down that I want to try.

We use ours the same way we do any beef. Maybe add some peppers and onions when frying or in the crock pot. You are in for a treat, we hardly ever buy beef any more. The Elk to me is awesome when processed properly and cooled out quick.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Easy stroganoff:

Cube up 1 lb of elk (or deer). Melt 1/4 stick of butter in a skillet over medium/medium high heat. Add venison and turn to brown on all sides. Once blood stops seeping out, stir in 1 small can of mushrooms (drained) and sautee for a minute or two until the liquid is starting to dry up. Deglaze skillet with 1/2 cup of dry sherry or white wine, and stir in 1 cup of sour cream. Heat through and serve over egg noodles.

I also make chicken fried elk/deer, elk/deer fajitas, elk/deer stirfry, stew, etc. using the storebought mixes and following the directions.

We do a lot of venison as shishkebob during the summer. Coat the meat with fajita seasoning, and skewer with squash, tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, onion wedge, green/red/yellow pepers, etc. and cook on the grill until medium/medium well and serve with rice. Simple and delicious!

Meat on a stick is good, too - I have a chiminea out back for that....

Enjoy your wapiti!

Brian

Here is something i tried and was awsome. I took elk steaks and just browned them on each side then laid in a glass baking pan. Placed some chopped onions, and a can of mushrooms over them with some salt, pepper, and few spices. Took a can of beef broth heated and stirred in a flower thickening to make a gravy. Poured that over the steaks and baked for around an hour or so at 375. Now with some mash taters, and another veggy totaly awsome.:D
Mike

Here is something else, did a lot since i started this thread few months ago. I made some sausage with some of the ground meat. I just used the Morton's sausage and meatloaf spice. Now i like my sausage with some spice so i kept on mixing, and frying small pieces till i got it to my taste. I ended up with close twice the amount of mortons they call for like 1 spoon per lb. of meat i was about at double then sprinkled some red pepper in also. Jimmy Dean will take a back seat to my elk sausage.
Mike

We cook Elk just like beef in most cases just a lot leaner cut of meat. For the hamburger we mix the cheapest hamburger we can buy with elk so it has some fat (how much fat do you like in your hamburger depends on how much you mix with the lean elk meat. You probally won't even notice the difference in taste of beef if the elk was properly taken care of. One of my favorite recipes is take a back strap about 12 inches long slice a grove in it about 1 and a half inches deep fill the grove with some onion, garlic, celery or anything you really like then wrap about 6 slises of thick pepper smoked bacon around it for the grease and extra flavor. Cook in oven at 250 degrees until medium rare. My family has been eating ELK for over twenty years. One of the best wild game meats you can have. Big Horn sheep was the best game meat I have had.

The very very best elk T-bones I've had were done Chef Paul Prudehome's blackening method.

Cooked a ton of them for a bunch of people that day. Looked like my face and arms were sunburned. Then cast iron skilled is maintained @ just before turning red......

Use some Chef Paul's Cajun Meat Magic and unsalted butter.

Heat the skillet until the "cast iron seasoning - oil" turns to a grey ash. Your then ready to cook. Uses lots of propane.:D

Rub the stake with the seasoning. Don't be hesitant about getting enough on. (I don' think you could over do it.:))

Dip in melted butter.

Sling onto the skillet. It will immediately flash to flame. It'll smoke like a signal fire. The steak floats on the flaming butter. Cook about as along as you can mentally take the stress of thinking you're ruining a great stake. (never happen!)

Pour butter over the top and flip it over. More flames. Cook till you get anxious again. :)

It will be BLACK, but thats just the butter crust. Nice and spicie. Not hot. Trans forms a piece of elk/salmon/beef/pork into something out of this world.

Be careful with the cast iron skillet. If you drop it it will break.......really.

Right out of the refrigerator, cold smoked until it reaches room temperature, then barbecue grill it or pan fry it with a small dab of your favorite oil in the bottom of a cast iron skillet. p.s. making sure your Elk comes to room temp before cooking makes a big difference!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.