Need 'Quick Load' help for a 300Win

Freebore

I'm loading for a 300 Win. using the Hornandy 150gr Spitzer. I have a load worked up with RL-17 that doing Ok.

I would like loading info for using VV N-550. I have R-P brass and any primer needed. My max COAL is 3.350 per magazine. At that length with that bullet I'm still 0.150 off of lands. Rifle is a T-3 Tikka SS. I've tried searching different web sites and haven't found much. Thanks in advance for your time.

If you have a good load with RL-17 I'd stick with it. With that much case capacity it's gonna be hard to find a powder that will give you a good fill ratio and a near or complete burn with a light 150 grain bullet.

You can try the VV-550 starting at 70 grains and work up. I couldn't get a couple things to line up which makes me feel you wont find an accuracy node near the top. If your not at the top, fill and burn ratios are suckin wind.

If you can get your hands on VV at a decient price and availability, I'd run a 180 and VV-560

Good luck and think about a heavier bullet.

I have the RL-17 shooting pretty good @ 3400 and <.75 with me behind the rifle. Just saw the 550 in the cabinet and said..huh. Not much available data as I said probably due to what you found...fill ratio/burn rate don't jive.

I shoot the 180 partitions and the 200SMK in my 300WM with RL-22. He just doesn't want to shoot them regardless of better performance long range. I need to take him to the 'farm' and shoot out to 800 with him and his T-3 and my old Model 70. Then maybe I can get him to switch. Wait until he hits that Antelope at 130yrds with that screaming 150. Bone and Bag ready made to go in the field.

Thanks for the load check though.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.