Need muzzleloader help please

JPHunter

Hi guys,
In Australia muzzleloaders are all but non exitent so I'm really on my own with it all. I ordered one about six weeks ago and was told it was going to take 4 months so I'm just trying to get everything ready for when it's here!

I'm getting a TC bone collector 50 cal and am running Hornady FPB 300gn pill through it with Alliant Black MZ powder. In Aus we're extremely limited with what we can get i.e. TC are the only muzzys we can readily import and Alliant is literally the only powder to choose from.

What I don't have is any cleaning gear. I've been hearing a lot of different things about whats good and whats bad. Can someone please give me a comprehensive list of all cleaning products and appliances that I will need to best look after my muzzy?

Appreciate any help guys!

JP

Right now I use 777 pellets, soap and water, along with a 20 g brush. There are lots of other products out there but for 777 all you need is soap and water. I grease the breach plug threads and that's it.

Do you grease the breach plug with breach plug grease or just general gun grease?
do you use bore butter or something similar after use?
I still don't really know what to do.

In between shots am I running aa dry patch through and then once finished clean the barrel with soapy water and finish with a bore butter or something similar or am I in the wrong direction here?

Do you grease the breach plug with breach plug grease or just general gun grease?
do you use bore butter or something similar after use?
I still don't really know what to do.

In between shots am I running aa dry patch through and then once finished clean the barrel with soapy water and finish with a bore butter or something similar or am I in the wrong direction here?

When I sight it it I run a dry brush between shots, it helps with accuracy. Also don't let the barrel get hot it messes with the sabots and reduces accuracy. I don't use boor butter just soap and water oil the out side, I use tetra gun grease as I had it. You could use the bore butter it can't hurt, also if you go on YouTube and search Thompson center that have an entire catalog of instructional videos on a shooting and cleaning.

I would say the most important thing it to clean it as,soon as you can after shooting.

For cleaning lots of soap and very hot water for your mz powder and gun oil the bore just clean the oil out before you shoot and the breech plug just good grease or anti size grease and when you thing its clean . clean it again and you will be just fine.

Important for you to realize is to not totally clean your barrel between shots. I just lick a patch then run it down the wet side and dry side both. Leaves just enough fouling in the barrel so the guns like it:) Always want to leave a little fouling in the barrel. If you want alot of good stuff on muzzle loading go to R+P muzzle loading.com

Like the man from the communist state of New York says....

Take a shower with the barrel (remove it from the action first), a hot shower.......

You should be able to get TC natural bore butter. It's ****muckle green but smells good and is dandy for lubing the after shower barrel. After the shower, take a jag with a patch and run in the bore butter and pull a couple patches to remove the excess.

Your barrel don't need perfumed shower jell, just hot water and a scrub.

TG I can get 209 Blackhorn. Best stuff since sliced whole wheat.

It's "gel" BTW not jell

With the prostituting of America by the current administration, lets, at least, use proper terminology and correct spelling....just say'in.

I got away from the soap and water years ago but it does work. I use T/C #13 bore cleaner and patches. Don't forget to get around where the primer sits. I even find I need to clean the underside of the scope. Use anti-seize grease on the breech plug and then use bore butter before you store your ML. Place the barrel down as in hot weather the butter turns liquid and runs into the flash hole.

I don't use bore butter, most don't anymore but, if that's the only lubricant you can find, then use it.

I just cleaned out two Hawken rifles that had set with it in the barrels for 16 years. Picked them up in a garage sale this past summer for $150 for both. Took me six (6) hours to clean that out of two barrels. Ended up plugging the nipples and filled the barrels with brake parts cleaner and let it set to soften it up. It was NOT fun.

Its a good idea to open up the safe and pull the firearms out a couple times between seasons, to lube things. If you're near a saltwater environment, it would pay to do it more often.... Just say'n

I guess the best thing for me being here in Australia is we have 12 month seasons on deer and there are no weapon specific seasons so I can take my bow, muzzy and centrefires out all year round. So it'll never have to sit in the safe for 10 months straight or anything like that.

I forgot to mention the only time I use bore butter is for storage. I don't use it for shooting but as a lubricant in the barrel when storing. I also noticed out shooting if the temp is over 90 degrees the bore butter turns to liquid so that is why I store barrel down. Before I shoot it I clean the barrel with clean rags and it only usually sits for 3 months before I shoot it again. I have been doing this since I got this ML in 1997 so figured if it works don't change it. There are probably better items on the market now but one tube of bore butter has lasted me over five years.

In my opinion, a muzzleloader is easier to clean than a cartridge shooting rifle. I drill out an old nipple, attach a hose on the end and drop the hose in a bucket of hot soapy water. I use dish soap. A few strokes with a patch, a couple of strokes with a brass brush, then more patches. At that point all you have to do is dry the barrel and run an oiled patch down it. I believe your rifle breaks open easier than mine, so you could just stick the muzzle in a plastic bucket of hot soapy water and follow the same procedure.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts