Need input PMii 12-50 vs March 5-50 or 8-80

Frank7mm

Well I'm down to the hard part of deciding witch scope I want. I have narrowed it down to a S&B PMii 12-50 or a March 5-50 or 8-80. From everything I can find they are very close in price. Has anyone used both? Witch has better glass? Any complaints? I will be hoarding every dollar for awhile and do not want to regret my decision so any input welcome.

I personally think there is a difference between a good scope and a spotting scope with crosshairs in it! LOL:D In all aspects a scope that reaches 25x is all you need for long range hunting.

why do people insist on pounding "all you need" into their opinion.
All you need is a fixed 10x
All you need is a 300 Win Mag
All you need is blue jeans and some carhartt
Give it a rest.

Thanks C_bass16. I would have deleted the post if could. Sometimes it not worth it. :cool:

Thanks C_bass16. I would have deleted the post if could. Sometimes it not worth it. :cool:

I wasn't dogging your thread man, I meant to quote the gentilman above me that said "In all aspects a scope that reaches 25x is all you need for long range hunting. "

I hate when people are looking for input and someone just jumps out and says "ALL YOU NEED"
Which is why I added some of the most common "all you need" suggestions.

I don't believe all you need is 25x
I don't believe all you need is a 300WM
I don't believe all you need is some blue jeans

I DO BELIEVE, this is still America and if you want an 8-80, then get it, run it and if you love it, then great...tell someone to F-off.
If you find that you don't love it, then pass it on to someone else and use it as a learning experience.

I love magnification. I have run as high as 40x and find that the only downside is the low end zoom being typically in the 10x range....and the elevation adjustment is usually a bit lacking.
I've rand 32x and it's a great LR zoom power but the elevation is still right at the edge of what I would like. A bit more would be better.

The one I'm looking at how is the Bushnell XRS in 4.5-30x which i feel is an excellent low end for hunting, and an excellent high end for seeing what you want, for spotting for a partner, for using as a spotter if you need to, and I'm looking forward to running it.

Both of the ones you're looking at are excellent optics, but they might not be the best choice for a LR hunting optic.

C_bass no worries. I wasn't referring to your post. I put my 2 cents in if I have dealt with the item or caliber in question but other than that I keep to myself. To easy to get a **** thread started. Thinking about the Nightforce 12-42 once again. My funds are cut a little as I'm trying to lease an area to establish a longrange range. I'm more into long range target now as it is hard to find any land to lease in northeast PA to lease for hunting. I look at it as practice for western hunts.:)

I wasn't dogging your thread man, I meant to quote the gentilman above me that said "In all aspects a scope that reaches 25x is all you need for long range hunting. "

I hate when people are looking for input and someone just jumps out and says "ALL YOU NEED"
Which is why I added some of the most common "all you need" suggestions.

I don't believe all you need is 25x
I don't believe all you need is a 300WM
I don't believe all you need is some blue jeans

I DO BELIEVE, this is still America and if you want an 8-80, then get it, run it and if you love it, then great...tell someone to F-off.
If you find that you don't love it, then pass it on to someone else and use it as a learning experience.

I love magnification. I have run as high as 40x and find that the only downside is the low end zoom being typically in the 10x range....and the elevation adjustment is usually a bit lacking.
I've rand 32x and it's a great LR zoom power but the elevation is still right at the edge of what I would like. A bit more would be better.

The one I'm looking at how is the Bushnell XRS in 4.5-30x which i feel is an excellent low end for hunting, and an excellent high end for seeing what you want, for spotting for a partner, for using as a spotter if you need to, and I'm looking forward to running it.

Both of the ones you're looking at are excellent optics, but they might not be the best choice for a LR hunting optic.
BEST post i've seen in a long time, with one of the BEST lines I've read in a long time!

This IS America....And if you want something and can afford it...Go for it!

I run a 32x for 100 yard shooting, to really see how well dialed-in my loads are. I can shoot a shot, center up on that hole, then shoot again, and really get an idea of how well they stack in there. It makes things really nice for testing loads and target shooting. You can shoot some really tight groups with a good high-mag scope @ 100 yards.

So, I am a firm believer in magnification, as well.

You're my boy Blue!!! :D

I just got the march f3-24x42 with tactical turrets and illum moa ret for a 280ai I'm having built. Plan on hunting from 30 to 750 yds with it. Should have it in a month. I believe this will be the ultimate scope for my needs. I've not got to shoot with it yet but I'm very impressed with it as I been looking thru it and messing with it a lot. I also have a 20br coming and I'm trying to decide between the 10-60 or 8-80. I talked w/ Hobie at Kelbys and he told me that only under perfect conditions could he use more than 50-55 x with his. During those perfect conditions it sure would be nice to use it though.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.