need input on modular stocks.

R.C.Saul

Im interested in putting a modular stock on a rem 700. I like the folding aspect, and the pistol grip alot. Does anyone have a JP AMCS, Eberlestock, McRee, XLR, or something simular? I need some pros & cons along with how the ergonomics fit everything from varmint to big game hunting.

I am running a McRee on my 338RUM, R7L-TMAG to be exact. The AI magazines have to be "modified" to run the RUM family as the shoulder is farther forward than the 338 Lapua. The Modular stocks are going to be the most ridgid platform you can get. However the trade off is the increased weight, my 338RUM is over 16lbs IIRC. You don't want to be dragging that all over gods country, but then again, that's why you launch a 300grn bullet at almost 2800fps.

I REALLY like the looks of the KRG Whiskey 3 chassis but i'm afraid to ask if they offer a LH version:D At first, I was like "WTH do you need a folding stock for?" Then, after learning I have to remove the cheek pieces to clean the rifle I understood:rolleyes: Not to mention being more compact during transporation, especially when you get into the uber long bbls usually associated with the new ELR rigs.

They are very ridgid, usually very heavy (mine is)... the McRees offers the same grip as the AR-15/M-16 platform that everyone is familiar with. Function & reliability has been 100% as of now & hey, if you run out of bullets you can use it as a club!

Hope that helps,

Have a Look-See....

Attachments

• 338 RUM (6).jpg
    338 RUM (6).jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 19
Thanks. I'm considering one for a .243. How are they for off hand shots? Fluted sendero taper is max size I plan to have on this rifle.

In my opinion, experiences etc. The McRee's was designed as a marksman's stock, off hand shooting, while quite doable, isn't quite it's forte. Designed for an extremely stable & ridgid platform for long range shooting, you could probably fit a full 1.25 no taper bbl in there with zero issues. It's a bipod, bench or supported position stock.

I use Accuracy International 2.0; perfect drop in fit. Have one with a Sendero 7mmRM, another 7 being built now by Kevin Cram with the AI 2.0 and plan on having him build a 338 Lapua next set into one. For offhand or kneeling I use Choate-Plaster Rifle Stabilizer - UltimateSniper.com. These stabilizers work great for hunting when your rifle outweighs the truck axle that got you there. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.